Turn on thread page Beta

ever since i fixed my form on the deadlift i have become far weaker watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    before i used to drop my hips pretty fast before initiating the pull, so i could get a bit of moment going at the bottom for when i push off the floor
    i was doing 160KG for 5 reps

i watched andy boltons tips and he basically tells you to start with your hips really high like a romanian deadlift, he doesnt drop his hips at all, i can only do 144KG this way

but im way weaker this way because i dont get the added benefit of already having my momentum going before the bar starts to move

does it really matter? i wasnt dropping my hips really low before, i just did it fast
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Impossible to say without a video of you deadlifting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    Impossible to say without a video of you deadlifting
    what do you mean?
    my deadlift is weaker because i dont get that extra leg drive
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Straighthate)
    before i used to drop my hips pretty fast before initiating the pull, so i could get a bit of moment going at the bottom for when i push off the floor
    i was doing 160KG for 5 reps

i watched andy boltons tips and he basically tells you to start with your hips really high like a romanian deadlift, he doesnt drop his hips at all, i can only do 144KG this way

but im way weaker this way because i dont get the added benefit of already having my momentum going before the bar starts to move

does it really matter? i wasnt dropping my hips really low before, i just did it fast
    My guess is this. When you were lifting with lower hips, the bar still wasn't coming off the ground until you had high hips anyway, with your scapula over the bar, but during the time that your hips were rising before the bar was breaking off the ground, your back was rounding. A rounded back shortens the distance from the bar to the hips which reduces the moment arm acting along the spine. With higher hips, the back is staying flatter and hence the moment arm acting along the spine is larger, and hence you can lift less weight.

Without doing the calculation, I would imagine that the momentum is negligible.

ReputationRep:
    Andy Bolton definitely drops his hips when he deadlifts.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.