Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I ask this because I am currently holding an offer to do this, but have recently had some positive advancements within a field in which I'd rather work in the long run.

After a long year of largely unpaid labour, I have been hired as a freelance writer for a magazine and have various other one off jobs lined up. I would like to pursue this at the same time as doing the PGCE so I have behind me a security job in case my preferred career path fails, and obviously to bring in a bit more income (for MFL, the incentive is £25k)

Any advice on this? I realise that PGCEs are usually hard work, but I would like to know specifically about personal experiences, preferably at UCL.

ReputationRep:
    Would appreciate any advice

ReputationRep:
    No idea about UCL, but from my experience (PGCE MFL at Leicester), the workload varies a lot from week to week.

First 6 weeks or so - university only, low workload. Higher than being an undergraduate MFL student but not bad. 3.5-4.5 days at uni, not that much work to do in the evenings/at weekends.

Placement 1 - workload hell. Not in the swing of things yet so planning and resourcing a single one-hour lesson can easily take 4 hours.

Back in uni for a few weeks in around February - a nice break. Think there was a an assignment at this point, but the academic aspect of the course was pretty easy compared to my undergraduate degree, to be honest.

Placement 2 - started really hard (teaching 67% of an NQT timetable whereas placement 1 was 50%) but by the end it seemed much easier as I could plan a lesson in about an hour by this point. Then the last few weeks saw a drop in contact hours to tie up all the paperwork and complete a final assignment. I'd say April/May were much easier than the earlier part of the course, despite teaching quite a lot of lessons.

If your freelance work is very flexible you might be able to manage some still. But I'd recommend that you avoid taking on any commitments that have a strict deadline at a time when you're on placement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myrtille)
    No idea about UCL, but from my experience (PGCE MFL at Leicester), the workload varies a lot from week to week.

First 6 weeks or so - university only, low workload. Higher than being an undergraduate MFL student but not bad. 3.5-4.5 days at uni, not that much work to do in the evenings/at weekends.

Placement 1 - workload hell. Not in the swing of things yet so planning and resourcing a single one-hour lesson can easily take 4 hours.

Back in uni for a few weeks in around February - a nice break. Think there was a an assignment at this point, but the academic aspect of the course was pretty easy compared to my undergraduate degree, to be honest.

Placement 2 - started really hard (teaching 67% of an NQT timetable whereas placement 1 was 50%) but by the end it seemed much easier as I could plan a lesson in about an hour by this point. Then the last few weeks saw a drop in contact hours to tie up all the paperwork and complete a final assignment. I'd say April/May were much easier than the earlier part of the course, despite teaching quite a lot of lessons.

If your freelance work is very flexible you might be able to manage some still. But I'd recommend that you avoid taking on any commitments that have a strict deadline at a time when you're on placement.
    Thanks for the detailed reply!

Overall, would you say that you enjoyed the PGCE and are you enjoying teaching, if that's what you do now?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.