slaya
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Saw this in a multiple choice and didn't really get it.

"One optically active isomer of 2-chlorobutane reacts with hydroxide ions to form butan-2-ol. The organic product is mixture of enantiomers because:
A) Butan-2-ol contains a chiral carbon atom.
B) The reaction is a nucleophilic substitution.
C) 2-chlorobutane forms a carbocation intermediate.
D) 2-chlorobutane forms a five-bonded transition state."

Now I don't get it because obviously it's a primary halogenoalkane and those undergo SN2 reactions which only give one optical isomer of the alchohol. So how come there's a mixture here and how come the answer's C?
SirRaza97
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Is the went under SN2 it would only produce one of the optical isomers. But this case it has produced a racemic mixture so it has undergone SN1 reaction producing a carbocation intermediate which produces the pair of optical isomers.

"This is because the carbocation formed in the rate determining step (b) (i), has a trigonal planar arrangement of C-R bonds around the C+ carbon, so the hydroxide ion (or water) can attack each side of the carbocation with equal probability, giving equal amounts of each possible optical isomer. The two optically activities cancel each other out, so zero rotation of plane polarised light."

Website: http://www.docbrown.info/page07/isomerism2a.htm (case study 2b.5)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (136)
28.39%
No - I have already returned home (65)
13.57%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (93)
19.42%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (45)
9.39%
No - I live at home during term anyway (140)
29.23%

Watched Threads