The Student Room Group

IB Combos

Hey I am in Year 11 about to transition into Year 12. I was unsure of what specific subject choices I could make in the IB for guaranteeing an economics major at a selective university.

I thought that: Math , Econ., and Business HL with Physics , Eng, and French SL would suffice.

But is business relevant to my major? Also should I take Physics HL?, or stick to SL (I have an interest in Physics). But I am unsure if taking physics HL will jeopardize my Math and Econ HL scores. (that are looked at by uni's for economics majors)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

This all depends on what kind of universities you are interested in, lets say you want to study Econs at LSE, Warwick or UCL then one subject that they require is Maths HL or else they won't even consider your application.
Apart from HL Maths there really isn't anything else they look for, except having Econs (and even BAM) at HL will convey how serious you are about the subject and may prove beneficial however it's not normally a requirement.

I took Physics, Econs and BAM (Business and Management) at HL, Physics HL didn't necessarily interfere with my econs and bam grades. However it is in extremely tough course and for econs its good that you have Maths HL, then doing both at HL may be a little heavy. But all this depends on you and how much you can study and apply yourself, i have friends who did HL Maths and Physics and got 7s in both.

I would say that your current subject selection is perfect and if you are confident in Physics you could even swap out BAM for it at HL but it really won't make a difference as the deciding factor for unis is Maths HL, Physics HL or BAM HL will only be a grade for them and not a subject requirement.

Do research the uni's you are interested in and check their IB entry requirements just in case
(edited 7 years ago)
Thanks for your help. I will go and check on some of my university requirements. I just hope now that I can fulfill them!

Original post by LGoncalves
This all depends on what kind of universities you are interested in, lets say you want to study Econs at LSE, Warwick or UCL then one subject that they require is Maths HL or else they won't even consider your application.
Apart from HL Maths there really isn't anything else they look for, except having Econs (and even BAM) at HL will convey how serious you are about the subject and may prove beneficial however it's not normally a requirement.

I took Physics, Econs and BAM (Business and Management) at HL, Physics HL didn't necessarily interfere with my econs and bam grades. However it is in extremely tough course and for econs its good that you have Maths HL, then doing both at HL may be a little heavy. But all this depends on you and how much you can study and apply yourself, i have friends who did HL Maths and Physics and got 7s in both.

I would say that your current subject selection is perfect and if you are confident in Physics you could even swap out BAM for it at HL but it really won't make a difference as the deciding factor for unis is Maths HL, Physics HL or BAM HL will only be a grade for them and not a subject requirement.

Do research the uni's you are interested in and check their IB entry requirements just in case
Original post by kumthekaranish
Thanks for your help. I will go and check on some of my university requirements. I just hope now that I can fulfill them!

No problem, if you have any other questions do let me know

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending