Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't know where else to post this

From measurements taken on the variation of pressure with depth in a liquid, it was found that, on a certain day, 2m below the surface of a given liquid, the absolute pressure was 1.17 x 105N/m2, while at a depth of 5m the absolute pressure was 142kN/m2. Find a) the relative density of the liquid

what formula can i use

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cushticwarrior)
    I don't know where else to post this

From measurements taken on the variation of pressure with depth in a liquid, it was found that, on a certain day, 2m below the surface of a given liquid, the absolute pressure was 1.17 x 105N/m2, while at a depth of 5m the absolute pressure was 142kN/m2. Find a) the relative density of the liquid

what formula can i use
     P=\rho gh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by langlitz)
     P=\rho gh
    I have tried this already.

1x10^5/(9.81*2)=5963 This is not the answer given. Do you know what I am doing wrong

ReputationRep:
    I have tried this already.

1x10^5/(9.81*2)=5963 This is not the answer given. Do you know what I am doing wrong
    What's the given answer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by langlitz)
    What's the given answer?
    0.8 something, relative density.

0.8 something, relative density.
    You need to use the difference in pressure and the difference in height: ΔP = ρgΔh

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.