Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Can Boys & Girls Be Friends? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Can Boys & Girls really be friends? I had a best friend who is a girl, we argued everyday because I caught feelings. In the end, I just ended it because I couldn't be asked to argue anymore, and don't really miss her I'm just living life as normal now . GCSES incoming !!

ReputationRep:
    yes they can.

ReputationRep:
    Casual friends sure but close friends, I don't think so. In my experience anyway, feelings have ALWAYS developed and it ends up getting weird.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richci)
    Casual friends sure but close friends, I don't think so. In my experience anyway, feelings have ALWAYS developed and it ends up getting weird.
    I don't think so, my best friend is a guy, and we talk about everything..literally everything..and he's got a girlfriend atm so I don't necessarily think that they can't be very close friends...coz I am unbelievably close to him...

Yes they can.I am friends with guys and no feelings have developed at all.6 yrs as well
    But i get pissed when girls in my year think there is something happening between us cause we always talk.But that doesn't stop us from being friends

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LostGirlOnTheRun)
    I don't think so, my best friend is a guy, and we talk about everything..literally everything..and he's got a girlfriend atm so I don't necessarily think that they can't be very close friends...coz I am unbelievably close to him...
    Yeah, that's cool. I like the idea of it working for other people, it's just that literally every time for me it's turned into more and it's the worst. I've lost a hell of a lot of good friends because of it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that's cool. I like the idea of it working for other people, it's just that literally every time for me it's turned into more and it's the worst. I've lost a hell of a lot of good friends because of it.
    Aww I totally get what you mean by that...but you shouldn't let your friendship be destroyed because of those feelings sometimes they have to be ignored just so you can keep that friendship scared...and friendship means a lot to me, if something ever happened to us, I don't think I could forgive myself because of that bond that we share...and besides my best friend, his girlfriend doesn't like me-she thinks that me and him are far too close for her liking, and so we haven't really seen much of each other-but sometimes feelings are the ones that help the bond grow closer-do you get what I mean??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LostGirlOnTheRun)
    Aww I totally get what you mean by that...but you shouldn't let your friendship be destroyed because of those feelings sometimes they have to be ignored just so you can keep that friendship scared...and friendship means a lot to me, if something ever happened to us, I don't think I could forgive myself because of that bond that we share...and besides my best friend, his girlfriend doesn't like me-she thinks that me and him are far too close for her liking, and so we haven't really seen much of each other-but sometimes feelings are the ones that help the bond grow closer-do you get what I mean??
    You're absolutely right to be honest, I guess in the past I've reacted way more negatively than I should have to friends trying to take our friendship further than I'd liked. I should have rolled with it and just kept it friendly. I mean, I have my reasons, but still I should have known better because it's not really an excuse and having friends stick around is better than not after all!

ReputationRep:
    You're absolutely right to be honest, I guess in the past I've reacted way more negatively than I should have to friends trying to take our friendship further than I'd liked. I should have rolled with it and just kept it friendly. I mean, I have my reasons, but still I should have known better because it's not really an excuse and having friends stick around is better than not after all!
    Exactly! But don't worry-you know sometimes, it's never too late to go and fix a broken friendship...you never know you could be more closer than you think! I hope it works out for you!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Course guys and girls can be friends, don't see why people make such an issue out of it.

ReputationRep:
    Acquaintances yes, friends probably, close/good friends no. Well I know I can't be REALLY good friends with a girl without developping feelings at some point.

ReputationRep:
    yeah of course

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Of course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No. It always ends up with someone catching feelings. Humans were put on this earth to procreate just like other animals.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, they can be friends. But it's a decision. One will almost certainly fancy the other at some point. If it's a long enough friendship, those feelings will probably come and go.

At least, that's my experience.

ReputationRep:
    You can of course, but feelings are likely to develop at some point, just have to be mature about what to do with them

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely, even close friends.

ReputationRep:
    3/4 of my best friends are female (im male) but i am also gay, so I might be cheating the system a bit. :P

ReputationRep:
    Yes, if you know that you can't make each other happy romantically but still enjoy each other's company, she's just a friend really, not a potential addition to your number of girls you ****ed.

ReputationRep:
    In my experience i tend to be friends with only girls im attracted to and so i usually catch feelings, usually only physically but sometimes mentally which sucks :/

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 2, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.