Hjyu1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Name:  image.png
Views: 102
Size:  62.6 KB

I understand that iii) is (n-1)! Because it is directed tours.

However I don't get why iv) is n!

Can anyone help me please!
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 15
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Hjyu1)
Name:  image.png
Views: 102
Size:  62.6 KB

I understand that iii) is (n-1)! Because it is directed tours.

However I don't get why iv) is n!

Can anyone help me please!
Grand Hotel is not a museum. Excluding that, there are n museums to visit. There are n! orderings of n items, hence that number of tours.
Hjyu1
Rep:
?
(Original post by ghostwalker)
Grand Hotel is not a museum. Excluding that, there are n museums to visit. There are n! orderings of n items, hence that number of tours.
Is my thinking right here there is (n-1)! But n times so it's n!
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Hjyu1)
Is my thinking right here there is (n-1)! But n times so it's n!
I don't know where your (n-1)! has come from,

or why you think the answer to iii) is (n-1)! since that doens't involve n.

Need some explanation of your thinking.
Hjyu1
Rep:
?
I don't know where your (n-1)! has come from,

or why you think the answer to iii) is (n-1)! since that doens't involve n.

Need some explanation of your thinking.
In the book I learnt this from it said that in a directed network there are (n-1)! Tours and n! Calculations so I tried go off that( for n vertices ) and for iii I subbed in the values in to the equation so n=4 to get 3!
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Hjyu1)
In the book I learnt this from it said that in a directed network there are (n-1)! Tours and n! Calculations so I tried go off that( for n vertices ) and for iii I subbed in the values in to the equation so n=4 to get 3!
OK, the n they are using there is the total number of vertices.

So for part iii) there are 4 vertices, hence 3! tours. Or looking at it another way, there are 3 museums to visit in any order before returning to the hotel. 3 things can be ordered in 3! ways.

For iv) there are n+1 vertices (n museums and the hotel), and hence (n+1 - 1)! tours, i.e. n! tours. Or again just considering the museums, starting at the hotel, we visit n museums in any order - there are n! possible orders - and return to the hotel.

Either way, it's not a good idea to just learn something rote from the book - you need to understand why it is what it is, and then you will be able to adapt it to similar situations.
Hjyu1
Rep:
?
OK, the n they are using there is the total number of vertices.

So for part iii) there are 4 vertices, hence 3! tours. Or looking at it another way, there are 3 museums to visit in any order before returning to the hotel. 3 things can be ordered in 3! ways.

For iv) there are n+1 vertices (n museums and the hotel), and hence (n+1 - 1)! tours, i.e. n! tours. Or again just considering the museums, starting at the hotel, we visit n museums in any order - there are n! possible orders - and return to the hotel.

Either way, it's not a good idea to just learn something rote from the book - you need to understand why it is what it is, and then you will be able to adapt it to similar situations.
Yeah I normally try get an understanding of it properly however I only just got entered for the exam so I had to learn it quickly and d1 is suppose repetitive and I'm aiming for 80-90 % but yeah thanks for the help I get it now
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Hjyu1)
Yeah I normally try get an understanding of it properly however I only just got entered for the exam so I had to learn it quickly and d1 is suppose repetitive and I'm aiming for 80-90 % but yeah thanks for the help I get it now
Cool. Sorry to hear you got entered with short notice. Good luck with your exam.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (144)
45.57%
Pro-humanity (172)
54.43%