Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.png
Views: 83
Size:  62.6 KB

I understand that iii) is (n-1)! Because it is directed tours.

However I don't get why iv) is n!

Can anyone help me please!
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    (Original post by Hjyu1)
    Name:  image.png
Views: 83
Size:  62.6 KB

I understand that iii) is (n-1)! Because it is directed tours.

However I don't get why iv) is n!

Can anyone help me please!
    Grand Hotel is not a museum. Excluding that, there are n museums to visit. There are n! orderings of n items, hence that number of tours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    Grand Hotel is not a museum. Excluding that, there are n museums to visit. There are n! orderings of n items, hence that number of tours.
    Is my thinking right here there is (n-1)! But n times so it's n!
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    (Original post by Hjyu1)
    Is my thinking right here there is (n-1)! But n times so it's n!
    I don't know where your (n-1)! has come from,

or why you think the answer to iii) is (n-1)! since that doens't involve n.

Need some explanation of your thinking.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know where your (n-1)! has come from,

or why you think the answer to iii) is (n-1)! since that doens't involve n.

Need some explanation of your thinking.
    In the book I learnt this from it said that in a directed network there are (n-1)! Tours and n! Calculations so I tried go off that( for n vertices ) and for iii I subbed in the values in to the equation so n=4 to get 3!
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    (Original post by Hjyu1)
    In the book I learnt this from it said that in a directed network there are (n-1)! Tours and n! Calculations so I tried go off that( for n vertices ) and for iii I subbed in the values in to the equation so n=4 to get 3!
    OK, the n they are using there is the total number of vertices.

So for part iii) there are 4 vertices, hence 3! tours. Or looking at it another way, there are 3 museums to visit in any order before returning to the hotel. 3 things can be ordered in 3! ways.

For iv) there are n+1 vertices (n museums and the hotel), and hence (n+1 - 1)! tours, i.e. n! tours. Or again just considering the museums, starting at the hotel, we visit n museums in any order - there are n! possible orders - and return to the hotel.

Either way, it's not a good idea to just learn something rote from the book - you need to understand why it is what it is, and then you will be able to adapt it to similar situations.

ReputationRep:
    OK, the n they are using there is the total number of vertices.

So for part iii) there are 4 vertices, hence 3! tours. Or looking at it another way, there are 3 museums to visit in any order before returning to the hotel. 3 things can be ordered in 3! ways.

For iv) there are n+1 vertices (n museums and the hotel), and hence (n+1 - 1)! tours, i.e. n! tours. Or again just considering the museums, starting at the hotel, we visit n museums in any order - there are n! possible orders - and return to the hotel.

Either way, it's not a good idea to just learn something rote from the book - you need to understand why it is what it is, and then you will be able to adapt it to similar situations.
    Yeah I normally try get an understanding of it properly however I only just got entered for the exam so I had to learn it quickly and d1 is suppose repetitive and I'm aiming for 80-90 % but yeah thanks for the help I get it now
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    (Original post by Hjyu1)
    Yeah I normally try get an understanding of it properly however I only just got entered for the exam so I had to learn it quickly and d1 is suppose repetitive and I'm aiming for 80-90 % but yeah thanks for the help I get it now
    Cool. Sorry to hear you got entered with short notice. Good luck with your exam.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.