Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hiya

I wondered if anyone working in the retail sector has any excellent but simple examples of "going the extra mile" in customer service? I have 2 1/2 years experience in a supermarket but I have complete mind block and I would appreciate any help with this! Thank you.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Jesska xD)
    Hiya

I wondered if anyone working in the retail sector has any excellent but simple examples of "going the extra mile" in customer service? I have 2 1/2 years experience in a supermarket but I have complete mind block and I would appreciate any help with this! Thank you.
    Could you talk about helping customers to find something, or helping customers with specific needs such as fetching something for an elderly customer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jesska xD)
    Hiya

A simple example for my job for example (I work at Topshop) would probably be going the extra mile in helping the customer find the exact item they're looking for. Often customers will come into our store and be looking for an item we either don't stock or that we don't have in their size, but it's important to source that item for them to both make the customer happy and to aid the company in making a sale. If we don't have an item in stock in their size or we don't stock the item they're looking for I will always check for them which store closest has the item they want in their size, as well as offer to order the item for them and have it delivered either to our store the next day for them to come pick up or delivered to their home address. It would be easy to just tell them you don't stock that product and leave it at that, but by checking where it is stocked or by ordering the item for them, it's going the extra mile to make sure they get exactly what it is they're looking for and making sure they leave the store happy rather than it have been a wasted trip.

Another example would maybe be seeing a customer walking around carrying about 8 items of clothing and just going up to them and offering to take it to the fitting rooms for them whilst they carry on shopping so they don't have to carry it - obviously this would depend on how busy the store is (sometimes our fitting rooms are full and theres a queue), but in quieter periods I will always try and make sure customers aren't having to traipse around the store with 50 things thrown over their arms.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.