The Student Room Group

Moving out at 16

I have been considering this for the past year due to home problems and it is still another year til I'm 16. Does anyone have any advice on moving out or how I can start to make my way towards being financially stable before I move out?
Reply 1
i moved out at 15 and sofa surfed till 16. its hard.
Reply 2
i had no income or way of getting income so through desperation, i had to steal food just to eat
If you really hate living with your parents or whoever you live with I wouldn't recommend moving out by yourself as you probably won't be able to afford rent, however do you have other family members you could move in with, like grandparents, aunties or uncles?
Reply 4
if u HAVE to, enquire about a hostel when u hit 16. its basically the only positive way forward
even at 16 it would not be financially viable, even assuming you start full time work (when you should legally be in education) the minimum wage is really low at 16, you'd have to save for months to be able to pay for deposits and fees and stuff and I doubt many people would want to rent to someone that young even if you could earn enough to support yourself

unless you're being severely abused, in which case contact social services/childline for help, you should try and stick it out to 18/uni age
Moving out is expensive. And so is living by yourself.

It is possible to get benefits at 16. But you have to be estranged from your parents.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending