Saya k
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I would absolutely LOVE to live in halls during first year purely for all the benefits that comes with it; easy to make friends, independence, freshers will be more fun. I would also hate to live at home during uni because I know that making friends will be much more difficult and commuting to uni would be such a hassle (Although I am only a 10 min train ride away)

I am in a position where the course I really like is in Strathclyde uni for Masters in International Business with Modern Languages. However you must be beyond 25 miles from the university to be eligible for halls. I am 4 miles away.

On the other hand I also have an offer from St Andrews to do Management with German but the course will be a gamble since I don't know of I'll like it and doesn't guarantee a year abroad like strathclyde does and I really want a year abroad. Money would not be an issue for me as st Andrews offered me a housing scholarship.

Which one do you think I should choose and why? I have 4 days to firm my offers! Please help me!
Saya k
Rep:
?
Also, at st Andrews I would have to do German literature and strathclyde has no literature. English literature was my weakest subject in school so I doubt I would be able to do German literature.
Saya k
Rep:
?
Has anyone ever tried living at home during first year and then flat sharing in 2nd year?
Jehaan
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not in uni yet but just thinking logically:
You'd only be missing out on some of the social life for the first year and seeing as it's a 4 year course you have lots of time to make up for it. Wouldn't you rather sacrifice a year to do the course you like vs a course you don't know if you will like it? Also I heard that if they have spaces in halls they might let you in later in the year even if you live locally which may be an option to consider. I wish you luck in your choice!
Capricancer
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Saya k)
I would absolutely LOVE to live in halls during first year purely for all the benefits that comes with it; easy to make friends, independence, freshers will be more fun. I would also hate to live at home during uni because I know that making friends will be much more difficult and commuting to uni would be such a hassle (Although I am only a 10 min train ride away)

I am in a position where the course I really like is in Strathclyde uni for Masters in International Business with Modern Languages. However you must be beyond 25 miles from the university to be eligible for halls. I am 4 miles away.

On the other hand I also have an offer from St Andrews to do Management with German but the course will be a gamble since I don't know of I'll like it and doesn't guarantee a year abroad like strathclyde does and I really want a year abroad. Money would not be an issue for me as st Andrews offered me a housing scholarship.

Which one do you think I should choose and why? I have 4 days to firm my offers! Please help me!
At St Andrews, you could consider emailing them and switching to the WIYA abroad course?

You'll have to choose a third module at St Andrews though
Saya k
Rep:
?
(Original post by Capricancer)
At St Andrews, you could consider emailing them and switching to the WIYA abroad course?

You'll have to choose a third module at St Andrews though
I have contacted them and they told me that I can switch after 2nd year but it is not guaranteed. Thank you for your reply though!
Saya k
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jehaan)
Not in uni yet but just thinking logically:
You'd only be missing out on some of the social life for the first year and seeing as it's a 4 year course you have lots of time to make up for it. Wouldn't you rather sacrifice a year to do the course you like vs a course you don't know if you will like it? Also I heard that if they have spaces in halls they might let you in later in the year even if you live locally which may be an option to consider. I wish you luck in your choice!
Thank you for your reply! I didn't know about the halls thing, where did you hear that?
Jehaan
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Saya k)
Thank you for your reply! I didn't know about the halls thing, where did you hear that?
I heard about it at a few different uni open days but it's always best to check with the university to see if they offer it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (300)
55.66%
I don't have everything I need (239)
44.34%

Watched Threads