Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am really confused with q5 on this paper, I've tried approaching the question with vectors and for part a worked out:

mom before: 0.25(30i) = 7.5i
    mom after: 0.25v

but not sure how to get an answer from there, and am clueless with part b

would appreciate some advice on how to tackle this thanks

Question paper: https://ca99c64778b62ba7e7b339967029...%20Edexcel.pdf

mark scheme: https://ca99c64778b62ba7e7b339967029...%20Edexcel.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katiee224)
    I am really confused with q5 on this paper, I've tried approaching the question with vectors and for part a worked out:

mom before: 0.25(30i) = 7.5i
    mom after: 0.25v

but not sure how to get an answer from there, and am clueless with part b

would appreciate some advice on how to tackle this thanks

Question paper: https://ca99c64778b62ba7e7b339967029...%20Edexcel.pdf

mark scheme: https://ca99c64778b62ba7e7b339967029...%20Edexcel.pdf
    Read this and was wondering why you were saying mum before and mum after. :rofl:

Anyways, vectors is slightly awkward here, let's resolve instead (which is almost the same thing as vectors)

If we consider only horizontal motion, we get:

Impulse = change in momentum. The horizontal component of impulse is 12.5 sin \alpha pointing to the left.

The speed of B horizontally is (let's say v):

The 12.5\sin \alpha = 0.25v - 0.25(-30) where we use - since the ball is moving 30 metres per second opposite to the impulse and we gave impulse a +12.5 sinalpha.

Anyways, since \sin \alpha = 0.6 we have: 12.5(0.6) = 0.25v + 7.5 \iff 7.5 = 0.25v + 7.5, this gives v=0.

So there is no horizontal component of B, thank god, that makes life simple!

Now - let's consider vertical motion:

This gives us: 12.5\cos \alpha (impulse acts upwards)

And the change in momentum is 0.25u - 0 (u is our vertical speed) and there is no vertical motion previous to the impulse.

So 12.5\cos \alpha = 0.25u \iff u = 4\times 12.5 \times 0.8 = 40. So the speed is 40 vertical and 0 horizontal, and hence 40 overall.

And from this, since the 40 overall is acting vertically upwards, then the direction of travel of B is "perpendicular to the original direction". i.e: it went from pure horizontal to pure vertical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Read this and was wondering why you were saying mum before and mum after. :rofl:

Anyways, vectors is slightly awkward here, let's resolve instead (which is almost the same thing as vectors)

If we consider only horizontal motion, we get:

Impulse = change in momentum. The horizontal component of impulse is 12.5 sin \alpha pointing to the left.

The speed of B horizontally is (let's say v):

The 12.5\sin \alpha = 0.25v - 0.25(-30) where we use - since the ball is moving 30 metres per second opposite to the impulse and we gave impulse a +12.5 sinalpha.

Anyways, since \sin \alpha = 0.6 we have: 12.5(0.6) = 0.25v + 7.5 \iff 7.5 = 0.25v + 7.5, this gives v=0.

So there is no horizontal component of B, thank god, that makes life simple!

Now - let's consider vertical motion:

This gives us: 12.5\cos \alpha (impulse acts upwards)

And the change in momentum is 0.25u - 0 (u is our vertical speed) and there is no vertical motion previous to the impulse.

So 12.5\cos \alpha = 0.25u \iff u = 4\times 12.5 \times 0.8 = 40. So the speed is 40 vertical and 0 horizontal, and hence 40 overall.

And from this, since the 40 overall is acting vertically upwards, then the direction of travel of B is "perpendicular to the original direction". i.e: it went from pure horizontal to pure vertical.
    thanksss so much, your explanation was really helpful, i understand it all now! can you be my personal maths tutor please :laugh:

how come you are always so quick to reply to my problems hehe :blushing:

ReputationRep:
    thanksss so much, your explanation was really helpful, i understand it all now! can you be my personal maths tutor please :laugh:

Oh, phew! Glad it makes sense.

It's 'cause I'm secretly madly in love with you. :laugh:

ReputationRep:

27 minute turn around is slow for him loool. He just likes helping people and his latex skills are unmatched

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.