Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know how the job market is like for psychology students? i, myself am interested in study psychology (decided to go for it as i "interested in it" and also i used to have regular meetings with my own psychologists; been inspired from this.) this upcoming october. however, i've read quite a few posts here on tsr and now i feel uneasy about the whole career. i know that it's competitive (what job isn't nowadays(?)) and it takes hard work, but i just don't know what to do. i know for a fact that i want to work for the nhs. could someone please enlighten me on this topic? any current students studying this subject that are regretting/regretted taking the subject? and how was your experience like?

thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cucumberhater)
    does anyone know how the job market is like for psychology students? i, myself am interested in study psychology (decided to go for it as i "interested in it" and also i used to have regular meetings with my own psychologists; been inspired from this.) this upcoming october. however, i've read quite a few posts here on tsr and now i feel uneasy about the whole career. i know that it's competitive (what job isn't nowadays(?)) and it takes hard work, but i just don't know what to do. i know for a fact that i want to work for the nhs. could someone please enlighten me on this topic? any current students studying this subject that are regretting/regretted taking the subject? and how was your experience like?

thanks.
    NHS

ReputationRep:

thanks.
    It is pretty tricky. If you want to go into clinical psychology you will be expected to take a masters after your undergraduate degree. Maybe even a PhD is required to go further down that path, I'm not entirely sure. But either way you have to commit to post-graduate education. I have friends from my year going down this path and I'm sure they will do well.

It's good that you are thinking about career options. I too was interested in psychology before my degree, but I never really considered career options. I'm now pursuing law.

ReputationRep:

thanks.
    What kind of role would you want at the NHS?

If you aspire to be a Clinical Psychologist for the NHS you'd need to do the BSc, then gain a lot of relevant volunteering and assistant psychologist work before applying to a Clinical Psychology Doctorate, which is very competitive.

You could also apply for a Counselling Psychology Doctorate, but as far as I know, it's likely you'd have to pay directly for such doctorate, where as the Clinical Psychology Doctorate is funded by the NHS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neptuner)
    It is pretty tricky. If you want to go into clinical psychology you will be expected to take a masters after your undergraduate degree. Maybe even a PhD is required to go further down that path, I'm not entirely sure. But either way you have to commit to post-graduate education. I have friends from my year going down this path and I'm sure they will do well.

It's good that you are thinking about career options. I too was interested in psychology before my degree, but I never really considered career options. I'm now pursuing law.
    Law? Wow! What made you choose Law??

ReputationRep:
    Law? Wow! What made you choose Law??
    It was a combination of personal interest and career prospects. I've known a handful of other psychology graduates who have done, or are doing the same. Doing psychology first has just meant that it's a longer (and more expensive) route!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.