Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone Im freaking out!!!!!!
    I had started uni (fine art) last September and then left in Dec because I really couldn't cope and was unsure about my course when I got there. I am only 19 so I am just taking time out to figure out what I want to do (defo want to go back to uni). BUTTTTTTT im so so so sooooo confused on the course and I keep fixating on the idea of uni and its all I think about and im just confusing myself so so much. I constantly look for reassurance that things will be fine but I am petrified that I am making the wrong decision as I don't know what I really want and don't want to have the same bad experience I had last time!!!
    Can anyone relate to me at all and how they got over it and chose the right course???? I was thinking of doing education studies but I am scared I wont like it again/rushed myself and everything will happen all over again!

PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!! I AM SO SO SO OVERWHELMED!!!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    There's no point imo, going to uni unless you're really sure what you want to do. Don't go just because everyone else is going. Go because it's what you want to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    There's no point imo, going to uni unless you're really sure what you want to do. Don't go just because everyone else is going. Go because it's what you want to do.
    I just think that everyone else is getting on with it, ie. going to uni etc... and I am stuck in a rut. It's the hardest decision choosing the degree for me!! Its stressing me out so much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shanwood1)
    I just think that everyone else is getting on with it, ie. going to uni etc... and I am stuck in a rut. It's the hardest decision choosing the degree for me!! Its stressing me out so much
    Don't feel bad for not knowing what you want to do and try not to let it put you under pressure. It's fine to spend some time figuring things out. Life's not a race and you don't have to follow the same path everyone else does. If you're not sure what you want to be pursuing right now, why don't you take some time out to try a few things out or do something different? Go travelling, or look for some work experience, or try a short course in something you think you might be interested in, even get a completely different job to pay the bills whilst you just have a think-whatever you decide to do doesn't have to be a trajectory down a career path.

I had a few years between school and uni where I did a lot of doing nothing tbh (bit of travelling, a few jobs, but nothing with any sort of direction), and at the time I remember feeling the same thing-that I was stuck in a rut I didn't know how to get out of and there was all this pressure for me to just do something even if it wasn't something I was really sure I wanted to do. I'm actually glad none of the stuff I felt pressured into applying for worked out, because eventually I got my head together and really worked out what I wanted.

Currently trying to get onto a phd programme and I always worry the gaps in my CV look a bit rubbish, but actually the feedback I've received most often is that it's not only very common (I know it can feel like everyone else is just getting on with things and know what they're doing but really that's not the case!) but it's a positive thing that you can go into something knowing what you want (and having had experience at other things) and not just because you've been pressured into picking anything just so you're doing something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heidigirl)
    Don't feel bad for not knowing what you want to do and try not to let it put you under pressure. It's fine to spend some time figuring things out. Life's not a race and you don't have to follow the same path everyone else does. If you're not sure what you want to be pursuing right now, why don't you take some time out to try a few things out or do something different? Go travelling, or look for some work experience, or try a short course in something you think you might be interested in, even get a completely different job to pay the bills whilst you just have a think-whatever you decide to do doesn't have to be a trajectory down a career path.

I had a few years between school and uni where I did a lot of doing nothing tbh (bit of travelling, a few jobs, but nothing with any sort of direction), and at the time I remember feeling the same thing-that I was stuck in a rut I didn't know how to get out of and there was all this pressure for me to just do something even if it wasn't something I was really sure I wanted to do. I'm actually glad none of the stuff I felt pressured into applying for worked out, because eventually I got my head together and really worked out what I wanted.

Currently trying to get onto a phd programme and I always worry the gaps in my CV look a bit rubbish, but actually the feedback I've received most often is that it's not only very common (I know it can feel like everyone else is just getting on with things and know what they're doing but really that's not the case!) but it's a positive thing that you can go into something knowing what you want (and having had experience at other things) and not just because you've been pressured into picking anything just so you're doing something.
    It honestly feels so reassuring and great to hear from someone who has also experienced this. I wouldn't wish this feeling on my worst enemy ngl!! I just really don't know what I want to do in terms of degree never mind know what I am interested in. I am planning to do a volunteering project abroad just for the simple reason that its something new and exciting and it is a real life experience.

How long did it take you to go back to university? And how did you eventually find out what you wanted to do?????
    I hate this idea of uncertainty!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.