Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I am going to be starting University next year and I am interested in studying medicine. It is quite difficult to get into medicine here in Ireland and I think studying abroad would be an amazing experience anyway. I am looking at Italian and eastern European universities at the moment, but more focused on Italy because of the fee prices and course taught in English. I am also looking at Malta too. If there is anyone who was in a similar situation to me, please help. I am struggling to understand how the imat works. The university year starts in September in Ireland but the imat takes place in September too? Isn't that risky? Also I don't know much about entry requirements for Malta too. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. D)
    Hey guys,

I am going to be starting University next year and I am interested in studying medicine. It is quite difficult to get into medicine here in Ireland and I think studying abroad would be an amazing experience anyway. I am looking at Italian and eastern European universities at the moment, but more focused on Italy because of the fee prices and course taught in English. I am also looking at Malta too. If there is anyone who was in a similar situation to me, please help. I am struggling to understand how the imat works. The university year starts in September in Ireland but the imat takes place in September too? Isn't that risky? Also I don't know much about entry requirements for Malta too. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
    The IMAT is split into General and Scientific Knowledge sections. You can read more about it here. Yes, you sit it in September. I guess it is risky but if you want to go to Italy you have to get it done! You can also apply to a couple Eastern universities that don't have an entry test as a back up if you'd like. That way you'd still have options open.

I don't know too much about Malta, sorry. But I considered several in Eastern Europe, along with Italy. But my first choice was Czech schools, and I also considered Romania and Bulgaria.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BristolFresher15)
    The IMAT is split into General and Scientific Knowledge sections. You can read more about it here. Yes, you sit it in September. I guess it is risky but if you want to go to Italy you have to get it done! You can also apply to a couple Eastern universities that don't have an entry test as a back up if you'd like. That way you'd still have options open.

I don't know too much about Malta, sorry. But I considered several in Eastern Europe, along with Italy. But my first choice was Czech schools, and I also considered Romania and Bulgaria.
    What result would be needed in the imat to be sufficient enough to be accepted to Milan, Pavia or la sapienza for example?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. D)
    What result would be needed in the imat to be sufficient enough to be accepted to Milan, Pavia or la sapienza for example?
    That's something I'm unsure of. From what I remember from minimal research, it was 50 for Milan and 40 for Pavia. But again you should do your own research to confirm this.

I can give you advice on Eastern Europe a lot more than Italy. I'm not familiar with it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.