The Student Room Group

You cannot choose to be from a country; hence it is pointless being patriotic.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aeroline1999
Fair enough. I'd hate Britain if I lived up North too. Maybe you should move down South instead.

yeh but the south is full of southerners
Original post by not_lucas1
yeh but the south is full of southerners

Honestly you'd be surprised, it really mostly isn't. Its mostly full of Europeans, Indians, Americans, Northerners, Scots, etc etc etc. In fact I've lived here all my life, I don't think I know one person who is genuinely from the South. Of course everyone speaks like they are but they aren't.
Personally I think being patriotic is about appreciating the culture of the society you were born in. For places like the UK and America it might not seem important about where we were born but some people believe they should celebrate the fact that they were born in their country (e.g. UK people appreciate free healthcare) or they love to share their culture (for example if your country is stereotypically good at something or makes a particular delicacy some people may like to share that culture and express it) and that's why some people may identify as a patriot whereas other people believe that being a patriot shows you embody all the views of your particular society and that can lead you to being a slight "closet racist" xx
Stop being mean to Britain :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending