Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying under the British system but am I KSA at the moment. I am just about to start GCSEs (3rd May- 09June) and I checked UCLA's website because I want to do medicine and am now confused it says that I need:
    My predicted GCSE:
    CHEM : A
    BIO : A (might be a B)
    PHYSICS : A (might be a B)
    BUSINESS: B
    ICT : A*
    MATHS : A
    ENGLISH : A (but I feel it may be a B)
    FRENCH: D

SAT Reasoning Test or
    ACT Assessment plus the ACT Writing Test.
    5 superior Grade GCSEs
    3 superior Grade Advanced-Subsidiary or Higher-Level exams

UCLA requires one of the following proficiency exams from all international students coming from non-English speaking countries:

International English Language Testing System (IELTS) a score of 7 or higher on the academic module

Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
    a score of 83 or higher on the Internet-based test (iBT)

a score of 550 or higher on the paper-based test (PBT)

(Does superior mean A/A*) and does Advanced-Subsidiary just mean AS and not A2
    also what other requirements would I need as for ECAs I do basketball, Duke Of Edinburgh and MUN
    What do I need to do for GCSE and A-Levels
    any advice would be appreciated
    Thankssss
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by FTKhan30)
    Thankssss
    I've moved your thread to a more appropriate forum. Hopefully you'll get the advice you need here

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying under the British system but am I KSA at the moment. I am just about to start GCSEs (3rd May- 09June) and I checked UCLA's website because I want to do medicine and am now confused it says that I need:
    My predicted GCSE:
    CHEM : A
    BIO : A (might be a B)
    PHYSICS : A (might be a B)
    BUSINESS: B
    ICT : A*
    MATHS : A
    ENGLISH : A (but I feel it may be a B)
    FRENCH: D

SAT Reasoning Test or
    ACT Assessment plus the ACT Writing Test.
    5 superior Grade GCSEs
    3 superior Grade Advanced-Subsidiary or Higher-Level exams

UCLA requires one of the following proficiency exams from all international students coming from non-English speaking countries:

International English Language Testing System (IELTS) a score of 7 or higher on the academic module

Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
    a score of 83 or higher on the Internet-based test (iBT)

a score of 550 or higher on the paper-based test (PBT)

(Does superior mean A/A*) and does Advanced-Subsidiary just mean AS and not A2
    also what other requirements would I need as for ECAs I do basketball, Duke Of Edinburgh and MUN
    What do I need to do for GCSE and A-Levels
    Thankssss
    I think they mean A2... my brother goes there and he absolutely needed his A2. I'd say work on your ECs (show passion and leardership in areas of relevance) but don't neglect your studies and well.. they do require an essay so you should work on that as well. Just take this with a grain of salt as I am not 100% sure.

ReputationRep:
    UCLA AND UC BERKELEY both now receive over 100,000 applications a year.

You will need an sat score of around 1500 or higher(2300 or more in the old scoring) to be competitive. Only 7% of internationals were accepted this year.

The UC's are very numbers driven, especially with international students. The quality of the applicant pool is likely higher than Oxbridge. UCLA is very very popular with Asian students, and California has a large Asian population.. When I say Asian, I'm using it how Americans define the word, which limits the word to Chinese, Koreans, Japanese,etc... aka East Asians, Not Arabs or those from the subcontinent, though there's a decent amount of top Indian American students at UCLA

UCLA Is around 42% Asian

What I'm trying to to impress upon you is that you you will competing against very very intelligent and driven students.

You have to be sure that you like or can handle intense competition. There are hard curves at UCLA, and Asian/ Asian American students are notoriously competitive

ReputationRep:
    I just noticed you wrote that you intend to study Medicine?

You don't study Medicine in the United States as an undergraduate degree. Medical school here is only for those already holding an undergrad degree

ReputationRep:
    x
    Are you British yourself? If so, I highly, highly recommend you go to a British University. This is because you said you wanted to study medicine; in the UK, this is done as an undergraduate (5 year degree) whilst in the US, this is done as a postgraduate (4 year undergrad, 4 year postgrad medical degree). It'll be a lot cheaper to do the degree in the UK. Also, you can get funding for your degree in the UK, but not in the US (scholarships are extremely competitive, do not usually cover the full fees and will be very limited for international students).

Furthermore, I'm not entirely sure how often US Universities accept international students for their medical degree program.

That all having been said, if you really do want to practice medicine in the US, it is highly advised you train in the country you want to practice in. Just seriously think about your decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by celloel)
    Furthermore, I'm not entirely sure how often US Universities accept international students for their medical degree program.
    It usually isn't a big issue if students have done their undergrad in the US. International undergrads applying to medical school is a different kettle of fish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zombiejon)
    It usually isn't a big issue if students have done their undergrad in the US. International undergrads applying to medical school is a different kettle of fish.
    Ah thanks for letting me know!
    Doing around 8 years in America for a degree would be incredibly expensive for OP

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.