Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sophisticated words to use in English Language exam tomorrow? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Especially for connectives, I use the words 'however' and 'therefore' too often. Any others words that can be used instead? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    For essays I usually try to include these, penultimately, consequently, thus and Irrevocably .
    Hope they're useful and good luck with your exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamiemariec)
    For essays I usually try to include these, penultimately, consequently, thus and Irrevocably .
    Hope they're useful and good luck with your exam.
    Ah! Thank you so much, I will deffo use these tomorrow and thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hello ,
    i sit my exam tomorrow aswell! this really helps me, so i hope it helps you!

https://www.tamiu.edu/uc/writingcent...onnectives.pdf

Good luck for tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    Read the past paper examples, and note down any vocabulary they use and it's meaning.

ReputationRep:
    I normally use 'at the same time' too much in essays instead of however.

ReputationRep:
    You could use: hence, furthermore, moreover, in, within, amid, with, through, additionally, in addition - there are loads that you can use!
    However, don't over convolute your writing with fancy connectives. Sometimes just saying 'the' or 'this' is more effective.

ReputationRep:
    The answers above are great, just make sure that you don't go overboard with synonyms because sometimes the words don't have the exact same meaning

ReputationRep:
    You mean connectives, yes?

Conversely; having said that; consequently; however; nevertheless; thus; furthermore; hence.

Also, try to make successful use of semi-colons. They can greatly improve the flow of your essays, especially if you are making a complex argument.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahrobinsxn)
    You could use: hence, furthermore, moreover, in, within, amid, with, through, additionally, in addition - there are loads that you can use!
    However, don't over convolute your writing with fancy connectives. Sometimes just saying 'the' or 'this' is more effective.
    (Original post by surina16)
    The answers above are great, just make sure that you don't go overboard with synonyms because sometimes the words don't have the exact same meaning
    (Original post by VannR)
    You mean connectives, yes?

Conversely; having said that; consequently; however; nevertheless; thus; furthermore; hence.

Also, try to make successful use of semi-colons. They can greatly improve the flow of your essays, especially if you are making a complex argument.
    Daaaamn, thank you all for the much appreciated help!! I'll definitely use these tomorrow but making sure I don't overdo it!! Thank you so much y'all!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.