Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm having a really hard time convincing my mum that doing a MSc. is worthwhile. I graduated last year and I want to study abroad. I don't even want financial support I just want a little understanding. She never did a bachelors just went straight into work so I don't think she understands. Does anyone else have this problem or have any advice?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Smoff)
    I'm having a really hard time convincing my mum that doing a MSc. is worthwhile. I graduated last year and I want to study abroad. I don't even want financial support I just want a little understanding. She never did a bachelors just went straight into work so I don't think she understands. Does anyone else have this problem or have any advice?
    I've moved this into the Postgraduate Support forum where hopefully some other postgrad students and applicants will be able to share their advice
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    My dad is similar and it was only by doing what I thought was best for me and proving that it got me to where I wanted to be that I got him to come round. He now admits that I had my head screwed on when I made the decision to come to the UK to study and then carry on studying into a PhD.

ReputationRep:
    Yes my mum is the same. I was planning to do a masters and now I'm not sure. For me financial support is important, but I think the support from my parents is even more important.

ReputationRep:
    If you're on the verge of doing a Masters then you're most likely around 20 years old. Bottom line is that you're an adult and you have to do what you consider best. Your parents will advise you based on their experience. However if they don't have the appropriate experience, then you just have to make up your own mind and be more self-sufficient. This is where you need to stop doing what your parents think is best for you and start taking responsibility for your own life. Parental approval is a nice-to-have from now on - it isn't vital.

Of course if you're reliant on them paying the bills, then they're going to call the tune. If they don't want to help fund you through a Masters, then you just have to wait, work and save up, so that you can fund yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Plan to work in the UK? Don't do a masters

Plan to work abroad? Do a masters.

ReputationRep:
    It's nice to have parental support but they won't always give it.

If you don't rely on them for financial support op then you're in a good position in that it's up to you what you do with your life and that includes doing a masters.

Academically I have achieved a lot and my parents are still unimpressed with me but if I did everything that they told me to then I would be incredibly unhappy.

Take pride in yourself, what you stand for and what you want to do with your life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smoff)
    When you say you don't need financial support, I assume that you've moved out of home and are totally independent? (because living at home is receiving financial support).

If so, then it's entirely up to you whether you do a MSc or not.

ReputationRep:
    The real question is whether or not it genuinely is worthwhile in order to get the job you want? This will depend on the field and possibly whether you want a career in academia or not. However as someone in the dying months of a PhD in science I would have a long hard thought about it. I'm in the position where industry, for the most part, would see me as overqualified yet a further career in academia is something I no longer wish for.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.