Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am curious about something. I noticed Oxford has three 8 week terms. When I look up accommodation costs, it appears the cost is for the 3 terms. Do students stay at Oxford during the time between terms or do they go home?

Another question in regards to term breaks: am I correct in assuming during the non-term times you are not twiddling your thumbs but studying, whether at home or still at your college?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fablereader)
    I am curious about something. I noticed Oxford has three 8 week terms. When I look up accommodation costs, it appears the cost is for the 3 terms. Do students stay at Oxford during the time between terms or do they go home?

Another question in regards to term breaks: am I correct in assuming during the non-term times you are not twiddling your thumbs but studying, whether at home or still at your college?
    Most people go home, apart from international students and those with exams soon.

And correct, I have always had a rather large amount of work set in my vacations.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    One of the ways oxford keeps is accommodation costs much lower than other comparable unis is to make you move out outside of term time. They then rent the rooms to conference guests etc. It's a pain but saves you so much money so well worth it.

You are expected to work in the vacc but a lot of it is self-motivated so done variably.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by fablereader)

You pay for the duration that you're in college, so normally just for term time. You can request vacation accommodation but whether this is possible or not depends on the college; most students do go home during the vacations.

How much you work during the vacations depends 1) on how self-motivated you are and 2) how important any exams in the near future are. You are supposed to work though.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    You pay for the duration that you're in college, so normally just for term time. You can request vacation accommodation but whether this is possible or not depends on the college; most students do go home during the vacations.

How much you work during the vacations depends 1) on how self-motivated you are and 2) how important any exams in the near future are. You are supposed to work though.
    The terms are eight weeks long (ie weeks 1 through 8) but we find that a majority of students are here for longer.UGs tend to come back in week 0 and stay for week 9, when a number of assessment deadlines and sometimes University exams take place. We offer free vacation residence if you have a University exam/assessment in week 9 and believe that's true of other (maybe most) colleges too. A few students request additional vacation residence. There are certain times of the year when this isn't possible (July-August tend to be when conferences peak across Oxford) but most other times there is availability.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.