Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    During an inflammatory response histamines make blood vessels more leaky so you get tissue fluid causing swelling. What is the point of swelling?

ReputationRep:
    Is it because tissue fluid contains lymphocytes?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there is a specific point in swelling, the skin just swells because of all the immune cells going to the point of damage. The white blood cells, etc, are all going to the injury and because there are so many in one place, the area swells. The cells are carried in the tissue fluid, which is why the swelled area can sometimes appear like water in a bubble (e.g. a blister).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QWERTY456)
    I don't think there is a specific point in swelling, the skin just swells because of all the immune cells going to the point of damage. The white blood cells, etc, are all going to the injury and because there are so many in one place, the area swells. The cells are carried in the tissue fluid, which is why the swelled area can sometimes appear like water in a bubble (e.g. a blister).
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I think the purpose of the swelling is that the area is protected from any more damage as it cushions the damaged area

ReputationRep:
    There is actually a reason for the swelling lol. Histamine does make the capillaries more permeable to fluid, this fluid is known as exudate, and it contains a protein called fibrin. The fluid provides more solvent for soluble mediators such as cytokines while fibrin is used to trap any extracellular pathogens

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 3, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.