Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am considering returning to university to study Physio and I have a few questions:

1. How possible is it to work part time as opposed to full time in physiotherapy? - What I mean is, are there part time jobs or do you work full time or not at all?
    2.How easy/hard is it to get a job in physiotherapy out of college in London or Dublin?
    3. What type of work experience do they look for when you are applying for university? Any kind of volunteering or specific? I've worked with kids, but teaching them, nothing therapeutic or medical. I have lots of teaching experience and I earned a few credits in psychology before realizing I couldn't afford to do something that wouldn't get me a job.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

My name is Beth, I'm a second (almost third) year physio student at The University of Nottingham.

Now to answer your questions...

1. How possible is it to work part time as opposed to full time in physiotherapy? - What I mean is, are there part time jobs or do you work full time or not at all?
    -From experience on placement, it's easiest to get a full time job, but there are opportunities to work part time too. I think it's probably more difficult to work part time if you've just graduated though.

2.How easy/hard is it to get a job in physiotherapy out of college in London or Dublin?
    -Not really much clue here, but I suppose it mostly depends on your job application and interview, rather than what university you graduated from.

3. What type of work experience do they look for when you are applying for university? Any kind of volunteering or specific? I've worked with kids, but teaching them, nothing therapeutic or medical. I have lots of teaching experience and I earned a few credits in psychology before realizing I couldn't afford to do something that wouldn't get me a job.
    -Usually they look for some clinical work experience in the NHS as valid work experience. By all means talk about what you learnt in other experiences, but NHS work can be very different to what people expect, so unis usually look to see that you know what you're getting yourself into!

Hope this helps!

Beth

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.