Optometry Applicants 2017

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Pretty self explanatory from the title but i saw a medicine and law thread so i thought i would create one for all of you who want to study optometry at university .... or considering it. You can clear all your doubts on here or discuss your plans/problems.

What a levels are you studying?
    Where do you want to study?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    x

ReputationRep:
    I'm interested in studying optometry at Aston in 2017.

ReputationRep:
    The only thing I'm worried about is that not many uni's offer it, and i'm not really looking to leave london so that leaves me with City university of london whuch i have not even heard about till last week

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently working at specsavers and from September I am planning on going back to college to study a level bio and resit a level chem.

I will be applying for optometry this year at Manchester and Bradford 😏

ReputationRep:
    Considering it but as i dont have a science GCSE i rely entirely on an Access course which only Plymouth will accept without the GCSE if i want to do the 3 year optom (dont want to do 4 years, MOtom is pointless).
    Not sure its worth it if i can only apply to one uni

How are people getting paid jobs at opticians?
    Always apply for optical assistant jobs but they keep saying I need experience!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NTS98)
    How are people getting paid jobs at opticians?
    Always apply for optical assistant jobs but they keep saying I need experience!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Optical assistant is basically retail, get a retail job for experience then apply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ALittleLost25)
    Considering it but as i dont have a science GCSE i rely entirely on an Access course which only Plymouth will accept without the GCSE if i want to do the 3 year optom (dont want to do 4 years, MOtom is pointless).
    Not sure its worth it if i can only apply to one uni
    How is the MOptom pointless? You'll need to complete a pre-reg year anyway before you can register as a optometrist if you graduate with the BSc/BOpto, while the MOpto has the pre-reg year incorporated into its four years. Take a look a UOM for example - students on the MOptom spend their final year in two, six month long clinical placements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by talenjames)
    How is the MOptom pointless? You'll need to complete a pre-reg year anyway before you can register as a optometrist if you graduate with the BSc/BOpto, while the MOpto has the pre-reg year incorporated into its four years. Take a look a UOM for example - students on the MOptom spend their final year in two, six month long clinical placements.
    Well put it this way.

3 year bsc:

Graduate
    Start pre-reg year on a salary of 21k or so
    Become qualified optom with 21k better off

MOptom:

Take extra year costing a further £9000+£6000 or so for tuition and housing.
    Become qualified optom at the end of it.

I'd rather save all that money and actually start earning, since the end result is the same

ReputationRep:
    Well I tried and ultimately failed to get into optometry this year. Im thinking about now doing an access course and apply in 2017 (again)

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying Biology, Chemistry and Economics and got ACD at AS in them respectively. Looking to study at The University of Manchester

ReputationRep:
    i completed my a levels recently and have got AEE in chemistry biology and psychology respectively. I'll be retaking as an external candidate - biology in the hope i can bump my grade up to an A, also psychology i will be resitting to bump it up to a B, also i might resit a unit from chem to boost my grade to an A*. (My ISA in biology really done me over, and i can't even find a centre that will allow me to resit it
    i will be applying for optom at aston, bradford, anglia ruskin, plymouth and manchester for 2017. Anybody else in a similar situation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ismail786)
    i completed my a levels recently and have got AEE in chemistry biology and psychology respectively. I'll be retaking as an external candidate - biology in the hope i can bump my grade up to an A, also psychology i will be resitting to bump it up to a B, also i might resit a unit from chem to boost my grade to an A*. (My ISA in biology really done me over, and i can't even find a centre that will allow me to resit it
    i will be applying for optom at aston, bradford, anglia ruskin, plymouth and manchester for 2017. Anybody else in a similar situation?
    I missed my offers this year and I'm probably going to resit. I need to resit my ISA's and some AS to be able to get a half decent grade. I was told, however, that re-sitting the AS isn't possible anymore but I'm not 100% sure. I've not yet found a centre to do anything at and ill be applying as an external student also. I just pray and hope I somehow find a place to do it, if not access course at 19.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have to have biology to study optometry? Also if the unis allow you, would it be really hard as you don't have the biology knowledge if you need it?
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by umz_rana)
    Do you have to have biology to study optometry? Also if the unis allow you, would it be really hard as you don't have the biology knowledge if you need it?
    Thank you
    I did biology AS but dropped it second year of 6th form. I don't think you need biology but you would need 2 science A levels at least to do optom. So chemistry and physics maybe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a.h123)
    I did biology AS but dropped it second year of 6th form. I don't think you need biology but you would need 2 science A levels at least to do optom. So chemistry and physics maybe?
    I have Chemistry and maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by umz_rana)
    I have Chemistry and maths
    I think you could, a good idea would be to e-mail unis and find out properly.

ReputationRep:
    im looking to apply too, hoping theyll be lenient lol. AS grades CCE chem bio and english lit but hoping predictions will be somewhat better. (ABC?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a.h123)
    I missed my offers this year and I'm probably going to resit. I need to resit my ISA's and some AS to be able to get a half decent grade. I was told, however, that re-sitting the AS isn't possible anymore but I'm not 100% sure. I've not yet found a centre to do anything at and ill be applying as an external student also. I just pray and hope I somehow find a place to do it, if not access course at 19.
    Do ophthalmic dispensing at city uni
    You transfer after

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 11, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.