Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Female children and family name Watch

ReputationRep:
    So guys I came across a discussion online which I found interesting. As a parent, if you had 2 daughters or more and no sons, would you feel any regret that your branch of the family tree will exist no longer. Do such things matter to you?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I guess it would be bad that your family name would not continue, but there are cousins and so on.

No, she would still always be my daughter/s regardless of name.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Well my surname is one I made myself so I don't mind my kids having their dads name.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's true you may have cousins etc to carry the name on but the name your dad gave you will no longer be able to be passed on and hence your part of the family name exists no longer. She would still be your daughter yes of course, however her kids would be your grandkids but not bear your name. I suppose it doesn't matter for females commenting on this post as their kids will bear their husbands name anyway

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't care less. It would be such an insignificant thing to fret over.

ReputationRep:
    Any input from males? Obviously it will have more of an impact for you

ReputationRep:
    Although, interesting thought to add. My mum once mentioned how my dad lost it with her after he found out that her work email uses her first name and maiden name instead of their married name. I have to say I thought his anger was pretty pathetic. He felt insulted. She can choose to use whatever name she likes. And in her defence, she's been using that email since before they were married and said to him that her maiden name will always be her name and the name she grew up with so he needs to get over himself - especially considering her taking his last name at their wedding is proof enough that she wasn't resistant to changing it in legal terms. He acts like it doesn't bother him now but I know it does and honestly can't sympathise with his anger.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.