Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, So basically we've just recently finished the controlled assessments of Computing but we have done no theory what so ever in the past year!

We has a new teacher come in after one went on leave maternity leave and our new teacher has done nothing but our controlled assessments with us and we haven't done any theory since year 10.

I was wondering if there were any sites or books or some type of revision material you guys could recommend to revise from for the written exam as i don't feel prepared at all for it.

Thankyou for the help

ReputationRep:
    Anyone ? :/

ReputationRep:
    type in youtube ocr computing revision, there is a whole playlist some guy has made which is based on the specification

ReputationRep:
    OMG literally the same thing happened to me.
    We did nothing in year 10, and in year 11 we got a teacher who only has an ICT degree. So we had only been doing the CA's all this time. We have only covered: Networks, Software and Hardware, and Databases.

I knew were not going to be taught everything by the time the exams start, so i got this revision guide:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Revision-Co.../dp/1444193848

It has some extra stuff about random topics, but just focus on the topics you've been taught.
    Do you have the blue gcse computing textbook by Susan Robson? If you do - look at the topics in there, and then use the revision guide to learn the information, because it's simplified and easier to understand
    Or have you been taught with another textbook?

I wish you the best of luck

Btw, if you don't mind me asking, how did you do on your a453 and a452?
    If you did well, i wouldn't worry about the exam so much, as it's only 40%

ReputationRep:
    This website is your new best friend: www.canyoucompute.co.uk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aidanjt)
    This website is your new best friend: www.canyoucompute.co.uk
    It looks quite cool
    Thanks for that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by أنيسة)
    It looks quite cool
    Thanks for that!
    No problem

ReputationRep:
    The ocr cambridge gcse computing website is so useful, there are loads of videos on the spec and then little quizzes and activities to consolidate what was on the videos. There are also worksheets with exam style questions on each breakdown topic. Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by أنيسة)
    OMG literally the same thing happened to me.
    We did nothing in year 10, and in year 11 we got a teacher who only has an ICT degree. So we had only been doing the CA's all this time. We have only covered: Networks, Software and Hardware, and Databases.

I knew were not going to be taught everything by the time the exams start, so i got this revision guide:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Revision-Co.../dp/1444193848

It has some extra stuff about random topics, but just focus on the topics you've been taught.
    Do you have the blue gcse computing textbook by Susan Robson? If you do - look at the topics in there, and then use the revision guide to learn the information, because it's simplified and easier to understand
    Or have you been taught with another textbook?

I wish you the best of luck

Btw, if you don't mind me asking, how did you do on your a453 and a452?
    If you did well, i wouldn't worry about the exam so much, as it's only 40%
    I'll definitely take a look at that textbook thanks!!
    I don't know the textbook we were taught from it was a long time ago i just hope that i can do well in this exam as i want to study it at A level.

I got an A* in the programming project and our investigation task is still being marks
    Best of luck to you too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CopyThat)
    I'll definitely take a look at that textbook thanks!!
    I don't know the textbook we were taught from it was a long time ago i just hope that i can do well in this exam as i want to study it at A level.

I got an A* in the programming project and our investigation task is still being marks
    Best of luck to you too
    Well done on getting an A*!!! That' so good :O

I got an A for my a453 and the practical investigation is due tonight at 11:59.... i should probably finish it!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.