Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've recently been given an A in my Speaking assessment (25/30).

I'm aiming for an A* overall so I was wondering if it will be possible to my desired grade and if so, how will my final grade be calculated?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Momo0888)
    I've recently been given an A in my Speaking assessment (25/30).

I'm aiming for an A* overall so I was wondering if it will be possible to my desired grade and if so, how will my final grade be calculated?
    Heya, which exam board is this for?

I am happy to look this up for you, but you can most likely find details in the specification on the exam board's website, or somewhere else on the website.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure they take your mark, blow it up to 100% then divide it by 4 and add them together (25% each).

e.g. 25/30 for your speaking.
    (25/30) x 100 / 4 = 20.83% - rounded to 21%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    Heya, which exam board is this for?

I am happy to look this up for you, but you can most likely find details in the specification on the exam board's website, or somewhere else on the website.
    Hey, its the AQA exam board. Thanks for the reply, I've looked through the website but I couldn't find what I was looking for so I came here looking to see if any of you guys knew.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DontSweatIt)
    I'm pretty sure they take your mark, blow it up to 100% then divide it by 4 and add them together (25% each).

e.g. 25/30 for your speaking.
    (25/30) x 100 / 4 = 20.83% - rounded to 21%
    Thanks for your reply. So after adding all of the percentages up, what percentage would be an A*?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply. So after adding all of the percentages up, what percentage would be an A*?
    Different every year. Dependant on difficulty and then students marks (percentiles and all that). Estimation: 80% or above for an A*.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Hey, its the AQA exam board. Thanks for the reply, I've looked through the website but I couldn't find what I was looking for so I came here looking to see if any of you guys knew.
    Is this the specification that you're looking for?

If so, then your 25/30 is converted into something out of 90 and as well as your writing grade, and then your listening and reading are out of 60 and they're all added up and you need 270/300 for the A*.

ReputationRep:
    Your raw marks get converted into UMS Points.
    Overall, you need 90% UMS to get an A*.

Note: this doesn't mean you need 90% raw marks

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure about aqa but i did edexcel and it was 30% for speaking, 30% again for writing, and 20% for each of listening and reading. It might be similar in both boards

ReputationRep:
    Hey all, thanks for you responses. I now have the answer I was looking for. If any of you know how to mark a GCSE German writing response, please help me out at this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4068481

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.