Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm almost certain that I want to study English for my degree. I'm thinking about KCL, but is London really very expensive? Obviously I could get a job, but I'm not sure how it would fit in around my university schedule. Even the maximum maintenance loan on the government's website I could only cover rent, it seems. I've never lived in London (or any city really) before, and I'm just looking for advice if anyone can help.

Obviously if any of you guys have any experience doing English or studying at KCL (or both!!) then that would be great too.

Cheers

Quick Edit: In my A level class, there are eight girls and one guy - me. In the year above there were twelve girls and two guys. Is this normal for degree courses too? (I'm totally fine with it, in case you were wondering.)

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm a second year English student at KCL. There's no denying student renting in London is expensive, but in terms of other stuff - like food, travel, going out and enjoying yourself etc, there's lots of things you can do to save some money here and there.

Also, as an English student I only have 8 hours of seminars and lectures a week (the rest of the hours are dedicated to reading), so this means you would be able to get a part time job if you needed to. You just need to allocate your time well.

In terms of food, the big supermarkets are the cheapest (rather than a Tesco Express, go to a full sized one,for example). The big ones always have a bigger reduced section too so if you have room in the freezer you can stock up.

Student halls like Great Dover Street, Stamford Street and a couple others are walkable to the Strand campus (where you'd be studying English). It took me 35 minutes to walk from Great Dover street when I lived there in first year. It might sound like a long walk to you now if you live somewhere fairly small, but it's a good way to save money (getting the bus/tube everywhere does add up) and exercise.

Going out, I'd say sign up to websites like TimeOut, which always shows you loads of cool free stuff going on around London. Clubbing-wise, on Wicked Student Nights website, there's a different club that hosts a student night almost every night, so you get good priced drinks and entry.

Yeah, usually in a seminar class of about 15 people, there'll be one or two boys!

Like I said before, definitely don't rule out getting a part time job, if you're good in terms of allocating your time. King's even offer jobs to students that are really flexible (you get an email and you can accept or decline the offer). These usually aren't every week though.

Hope that helped a little!
    Ellie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FoxWhisperer)
    I'm almost certain that I want to study English for my degree. I'm thinking about KCL, but is London really very expensive? Obviously I could get a job, but I'm not sure how it would fit in around my university schedule. Even the maximum maintenance loan on the government's website I could only cover rent, it seems. I've never lived in London (or any city really) before, and I'm just looking for advice if anyone can help.

Obviously if any of you guys have any experience doing English or studying at KCL (or both!!) then that would be great too.

Cheers

Quick Edit: In my A level class, there are eight girls and one guy - me. In the year above there were twelve girls and two guys. Is this normal for degree courses too? (I'm totally fine with it, in case you were wondering.)
    Hey I'm a current second year English student at kings! London isn't as expensive as you'd think. There are plenty of places that accept student discount or are really cheap for a student budget. Sign up for TimeOut London and Amazon newsletters, download Dojo or Fever, great ways of staying in sync with fun and cheap things going on in the city! Also if you were to get a job through kings, say working as an ambassador or in the student union, hours are really flexible so you only work when you can. I would definitely recommend studying English here in London, you have the Globe across the bridge, the British library twenty mins away plus all the theatres, museums and shops! Kings has a great library called Maughan, it's beautiful definitely google it and kings students get access to senate house library as well. These are great resources to have when it comes to essay writing.
    I hope this helps but if you have any more questions feel free to message me or reply back to this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilacwanda28)
    Hey I'm a current second year English student at kings! London isn't as expensive as you'd think. There are plenty of places that accept student discount or are really cheap for a student budget. Sign up for TimeOut London and Amazon newsletters, download Dojo or Fever, great ways of staying in sync with fun and cheap things going on in the city! Also if you were to get a job through kings, say working as an ambassador or in the student union, hours are really flexible so you only work when you can. I would definitely recommend studying English here in London, you have the Globe across the bridge, the British library twenty mins away plus all the theatres, museums and shops! Kings has a great library called Maughan, it's beautiful definitely google it and kings students get access to senate house library as well. These are great resources to have when it comes to essay writing.
    I hope this helps but if you have any more questions feel free to message me or reply back to this
    Hey

Thanks for your reply

I'm pretty much certain that I want to go to Kings now. Could you tell me how you managed for money, if it's not too personal? I reckon I could get a maintenace grant and live in halls for the first year, but how much part time work would I need to do to manage financially?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FoxWhisperer)
    Hey

Thanks for your reply

I'm pretty much certain that I want to go to Kings now. Could you tell me how you managed for money, if it's not too personal? I reckon I could get a maintenace grant and live in halls for the first year, but how much part time work would I need to do to manage financially?

Cheers
    Aw I'm glad to hear it! Look forward to seeing you around campus next year haha

I live at home so my expenses are going to be a different to yours. Your best bet is talking with the esgreen95 (the other poster) because I know she lived in halls and in a flat this year.

I have a part time weekend job but I also do quite a bit around uni, like I'm an ambassador, I'm a mentor, and research assistant (all these roles area paid and completely flexible which means I do them when I can). I bought a tastecard a couple of years ago when it was on offer for £30 and I basically get 50% off in most London restaurants which is really cool. Bulk buying, buying with discounts, not taking my purse with me to uni!

There are also scholarships available. I think they're scrapping the maintenance grant but there are other scholarships like the Desmond Tutu award. You could even get in touch with the student finance and widening participation departments at King's and see if there's any bursaries they can give you for support. I'm not sure how this will work for your year, but anyone who received the maintenance grant also received the King's Living Bursary, which is up to £1k a year I think, depending on household income. Might be worth googling this and checking eligibility criteria.

Does this help?

ReputationRep:
    Hi again FoxWhisperer. Yeah, as lilacwanda28 said, I lived in Great Dover Street for my first year and a private student house with four others this year. The cost of my rent now per week is a little less than the cost of my halls was in 2014-2015. Plus, I'm now on a year contract and halls was only 9 months.

Weekly food shops for me cost around £30, more if I'm buying alcohol or topping up on cleaning stuff, for example. I shop at Tesco.
    Going out to a club costs me between £10-15 a time, for the entry fee, travel and drinks. It just comes down to being able to say no to stuff if you know you shouldn't be spending the money.
    In terms of travel, some weeks I'll need to top up with £10 (I always top up with more than I need so that when I'm in a rush I don't have to stop to do that!), other weeks I won't use my Oyster Card at all.
    I get the train home/to visit people quite often so that adds up. It's worthwhile getting a 16-25 Railcard if you think you'll take the train home on a weekend or during the holidays. They save you so much on train fares, and another bonus of 8 hours a week means you might even be able to travel on weekdays so you can get cheaper fares again because you're not travelling at peak times.

How much part time work you'd need to do is difficult to say unfortunately. You'd have to work out what loans/grants are available to you, then go from there. In terms of things you NEED for uni, like books, the majority of mine have cost me £2-3 and you can always try sell them on at the end of the year so you always have a budget for uni stuff. The big poetry anthologies are about £20, but there's the library or you can try find the poems separately online for free. I got mine from Amazon this year, but in first year there was a book fair where other students sold their old copies.

Hope that helps a little!

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Thanks very much both of you, that's very helpful. Definitely more confident that I can make it work out now

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    lilacwanda28

esgreen95

Hey

Would you guys mind telling me what A levels you did and what results you got? And do Kings care about GCSEs? Thanks for helping me with all this, I really do appreciate it all

ReputationRep:
    Hi FoxWhisperer

I studied:

A Levels
    English Lit A
    English Lang A
    Theatre Studies A*
    General Studies A (but King's don't count this subject anyway)
    King's required grades of AAA for my year of entry.

AS
    Economics A
    Critical Thinking A (again, King's don't count this as far as I know)

I don't have much of an idea how important GCSE grades are to them. I imagine they maybe look at this if they're trying to decide between two candidates, but I don't know to be honest.

Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by esgreen95)
    Hi FoxWhisperer

I studied:

A Levels
    English Lit A
    English Lang A
    Theatre Studies A*
    General Studies A (but King's don't count this subject anyway)
    King's required grades of AAA for my year of entry.

AS
    Economics A
    Critical Thinking A (again, King's don't count this as far as I know)

I don't have much of an idea how important GCSE grades are to them. I imagine they maybe look at this if they're trying to decide between two candidates, but I don't know to be honest.

Hope that helps!
    Thanks very much

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.