The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Willywonko
Reading "The Elegant Universe" myself right now. Really good book for the newcomers. :redface:

Why the :redface: ? I have that sitting here waiting to be read (when I get through the rest!!). Slightly scared at the prospect but will try :smile:
Thanks for the above explanation btw, it's helping to clarify this concept of which I understand so little!!
Reply 41
dinkymints
Why the :redface: ? I have that sitting here waiting to be read (when I get through the rest!!). Slightly scared at the prospect but will try :smile:
Thanks for the above explanation btw, it's helping to clarify this concept of which I understand so little!!

Always a pleasure to help. And about the :redface: .... Well, after reading Tsokos (K.A. Tsokos, the official physics book of IB, which must be the hardest physics book ever written) "the elegant universe" is like a stroll in the park.

And I've been through all this and won't even study physics naymore :frown: .

Rep to whomever who can guess what my major is... :tongue:
Reply 42
Willywonko
And I've been through all this and won't even study physics naymore :frown: .

Why not?
Rep to whomever who can guess what my major is... :tongue:

Economics?
Reply 44
dinkymints
Economics?

Spot on!

How did you know? Been stalking me? :biggrin:
Reply 45
Nylex
Why not?

Well, my parents aren't too happy about physics.. they think it's all about a life in an isolated lab, and that I will become a geek with no humour, glasses as thick as my biceps and have more friends as "Xerxex the magician" (level 59) rather than my real life me. Plus, they see no money in it (guess they still want to eat russian caviar after they used up their pensions...)

But still, I think I have been indoctrinated by them. I mean, there seems to be a wider scope of possibilities as an economist than that of a scientist.

But my I weep myself to sleep every night.... :frown:

It's better to loved and lost physics rather than to never loved at all, neh? :rolleyes:
Reply 46
Willywonko
Well, my parents aren't too happy about physics.. they think it's all about a life in an isolated lab, and that I will become a geek with no humour, glasses as thick as my biceps and have more friends as "Xerxex the magician" (level 59) rather than my real life me. Plus, they see no money in it (guess they still want to eat russian caviar after they used up their pensions...)

But still, I think I have been indoctrinated by them. I mean, there seems to be a wider scope of possibilities as an economist than that of a scientist.

But my I weep myself to sleep every night.... :frown:

It's better to loved and lost physics rather than to never loved at all, neh? :rolleyes:

Hmm, surely it's up to you and not your parents what degree you do? It's kinda unfair of them to make the decision about what you shouldn't do :/.
Reply 47
Nylex
Hmm, surely it's up to you and not your parents what degree you do? It's kinda unfair of them to make the decision about what you shouldn't do :/.

well, tell me about it.

But still, although I feel that I might have gone far with physics, economy doesn't seem to bad at all... I mean I have a sound interest for both subjects, and hence my parents wishes is the tiny drop which turns the tide in favour for economics. And with my luck I'll probably end up as a really sucky economist and miss out the nobel prize in physics for the discovery of flying pigs inside black holes. :tongue:

Btw, any more questions about general relativity, anyone?
Willywonko
Spot on!

How did you know? Been stalking me? :biggrin:

Like to say it was a guess but... search :wink:
Rep please!! :tongue:

I nearly had to resign myself to dropping physics after GCSE (I realised pretty late how much I love it, especially the stuff you just don't get taught at that level... probably something to do with a teacher who wouldn't answer questions not on the syllabus :frown:) but now I'm doing it as a 5th AS on less periods per week... eek!

Latest

Trending

Trending