Turn on thread page Beta

Unjustified school suspension watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Been suspended from school for 2 days, have a fairly clean record, with it being exemplary the last 2 years, is there anything I can do to appeal this suspension?It was for throwing grapes, however there was 8 or 9 people doing it and only 3 of us got suspended
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Why were you throwing grapes in the first place? That was a childish thing to do.

You might be able to appeal.

ReputationRep:
    Suspended for throwing grapes? That sounds ridiculous, my school often hasn't suspended people that got involved in actual fistfights. Are you giving us all the relevant detail here?
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by tiernancusack)
    Just been suspended from school for 2 days, have a fairly clean record, with it being exemplary the last 2 years, is there anything I can do to appeal this suspension?It was for throwing grapes, however there was 8 or 9 people doing it and only 3 of us got suspended
    It's a bank holiday today....
    • TSR Support Team
    • Answer Heroes
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Answer Heroes
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Just been suspended from school for 2 days, have a fairly clean record, with it being exemplary the last 2 years, is there anything I can do to appeal this suspension?It was for throwing grapes, however there was 8 or 9 people doing it and only 3 of us got suspended
    This depends what your school's discipline policy is (you might be able to download it from their website). Every school should have a suspension and exclusion policy, and if you can't access it online, request it as soon as possible. Generally, if you feel that it is a disproportionate punishment and that suspending you will be detrimental to your academic progress then you should put this in writing to your head of year or whoever gave you the punishment. You may find that you get a better response if this comes from your parents. If I was in your situation, I'd have my parents phone this person and request a meeting ASAP to discuss why you/they feel that this is inappropriate. Obviously though, you shouldn't have been throwing grapes and you will have to accept some sort of punishment for this. Regarding your rights, the Gov.uk website has some info (linked below).

https://www.gov.uk/school-discipline...ons/exclusions
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    So many people falling for the troll - it's bank holiday today, so no school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    It's a bank holiday today....
    Didn't say today I said 'just'
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Didn't say today I said 'just'
    'Just been' implying very recently, i.e. today.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    if 5 people threw sharp compasses and scissors, that makes it ok for you to do it does it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    Suspended for throwing grapes? That sounds ridiculous, my school often hasn't suspended people that got involved in actual fistfights. Are you giving us all the relevant detail here?
    Yep but they said my class has a record for doing it and we've been 'warned'

ReputationRep:
    'Just been' implying very recently, i.e. today.
    Ie recently but not today

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlotte49)
    This depends what your school's discipline policy is (you might be able to download it from their website). Every school should have a suspension and exclusion policy, and if you can't access it online, request it as soon as possible. Generally, if you feel that it is a disproportionate punishment and that suspending you will be detrimental to your academic progress then you should put this in writing to your head of year or whoever gave you the punishment. You may find that you get a better response if this comes from your parents. If I was in your situation, I'd have my parents phone this person and request a meeting ASAP to discuss why you/they feel that this is inappropriate. Obviously though, you shouldn't have been throwing grapes and you will have to accept some sort of punishment for this. Regarding your rights, the Gov.uk website has some info (linked below).

https://www.gov.uk/school-discipline...ons/exclusions
    Appreciated
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Ie recently but not today
    Just is an intensifier, so here means very recently. I'm not getting into an argument of semantics with you. I think that you're probably trolling. If not, then take your punishment, by the time you appeal, it'll be over and you were in the wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    if 5 people threw sharp compasses and scissors, that makes it ok for you to do it does it?
    Nope but I think we should all be punished equally

ReputationRep:
    Just is an intensifier, so here means very recently. I'm not getting into an argument of semantics with you. I think that you're probably trolling. If not, then take your punishment, by the time you appeal, it'll be over and you were in the wrong.
    Don't think I'd waste my time writing 2 forums for the sake of a troll
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Don't think I'd waste my time writing 2 forums for the sake of a troll
    If you get a reaction, of course you will.

ReputationRep:
    bit childish, but whatever you think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    Why were you throwing grapes in the first place? That was a childish thing to do.

You might be able to appeal.
    How exactly I have a meeting tomorrow
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    bit childish, but whatever you think
    Yes it is, but each to their own. 'have a fairly clean record' also suggests that there's more to this story than meets the eye.

ReputationRep:
    You deserve it, I'm sure

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.