Turn on thread page Beta

I have paid for goods on gumtree but never recieved them watch

ReputationRep:
    Dear Users

I have been scammed on gumtree. I have made a payment of £85, via bank transfer for a car part. However it has been 2 weeks and I have not recieved the car part, and the seller does not answer his phone. I know it should be here by now, as he lived only 100 miles away from me.

All I have in terms of the sellers details is the following:

Full Name
    Contact number
    Account number + Sort Code

Is there anything I can do? Police say its a civil matter, when i phone them on the non emergency line.

Will trading standards be able to help or would they realistcally even take the case on, baring in mind that I have not got the sellers address. Will they bother tracing his phone number or requesting the bank for his living address.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Upi need to learn the lesson that you are totally reliant on the seller if you send them cash. If you had used paypal or a cr4edit card you might have stood a chance. basically youve given someone £85 who you dont know and hes done a runner. Pating cash is the absolute worst way and you cant trace it.

Doubt trading standards will help. Waht do you expect them to do? Contact Gumtree through livechat. They might have his details. You cna then try and sue them.

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh no, shouldn't have paid that way. Paypal, always.

Report to action fraud, but no you have almost no recourse.

If you can find their address (electoral roll websites, using area and full name), you can send a letter which might be enough; or even try through small claims (money claim online)

ReputationRep:
    personally i don't trust gumtree so i will only collect cash in hand for stuff i have travelled 70 miles before to make a pick up

ReputationRep:
    Always use Paypal with a credit card and if you cannot then atleast just use your credit card. Otherwise don't bother because you're f*cked if things go wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shayne186)
    I have made a payment of £85, via bank transfer for a car part..
    I'm afraid ^this was the problem. Never transfer money to someone's account by bank transfer like this.

You have little recourse - the bank will not refund you, and Trading Standards etc wouldn't be interested as it's not in their remit. The only remedy you might have, given you have the seller's address, is to write a stern letter giving them 14 days to either refund the money or send the goods or you will make a claim using Moneyclaim online for judgement in the county court for this debt, interest and costs. So long as the address you have for the seller is correct, the threat of legal action might well jolt him into action.

EDIT - Apologies for bumping this thread - I'm going to leave the post as, in my humble opinion, it contain advice which other people in the same position might find useful.

ReputationRep:
    I've paid for girls on gumtree but never received them either :sad:

(Original post by Reality Check)
    I'm afraid ^this was the problem. Never transfer money to someone's account by bank transfer like this.

You have little recourse - the bank will not refund you, and Trading Standards etc wouldn't be interested as it's not in their remit. The only remedy you might have, given you have the seller's address, is to write a stern letter giving them 14 days to either refund the money or send the goods or you will make a claim using Moneyclaim online for judgement in the county court for this debt, interest and costs. So long as the address you have for the seller is correct, the threat of legal action might well jolt him into action.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    It is a 2016 thread?

Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.