The Student Room Group

Antidepressants and lack of concentration?

Hi,
so i've been on antidepressants (citalopram) for a good three months now. I started on 10mg after having frequent periods of low moods for no reason/ random outbursts of tears and almost constant heart palpatations. I was then put up to 20mg after a few weeks as it was helping but i was still feeling low. I have a few questions that i can't answer myself, nobody around me can answer, and that i'm too nervous to ask my doctor about.
First of all did anyone else's diagnosis come as a bit of a shock? I mean obviously i knew I wasn't well but i had suspected iron deficiency as i'm a vegetarian and often find it difficult to eat as healthy as i know i should and try to cheat my way around getting nutrients with daily vitamins (I'm just too lazy to cook). When my doctor said he thinks i have depression i honestly laughed though, because for the past two years i've always considered myself such a happy, carefree person- even my friends and family describe me as a ray of sunshine? Three months post diagnosis and i still can't quite get my head around it. Anyone else feel the same?
Next, sex drive. As I'm writing this i ask myself "What sex drive?" but SERIOUSLY i've gone from being a very sexual very intimate being to not even bothering about it. Sometimes i'll have sex just because i know i SHOULD want to and would have wanted to. Its really annoying because i want to...but i don't? Has anyone else experienced this and does anyone know what might help?
Finally, i don't know whats up with this one but its the one I'm most worried about when I'm on my meds i feel like i can't concentrate as well or for as long. I'm currently studying for my AS-Levels and am finding myself zoning out in lessons and in the middle of mock tests more and more frequently- you can understand why this is a worry. Whats weird is this week i forgot to take them two days in a row and i felt a lot more awake and found it much easier to revise, but i think thats most likely because i'd convinced myself i would be because i hadn't taken them?
i guess I'm just a bit sceptical when it comes to the whole antidepressants citalopram scandal as i like to call it. If anyone has any advice or experience or even just anything they think COULD help, please let me know. THANKS
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,
so i've been on antidepressants (citalopram) for a good three months now. I started on 10mg after having frequent periods of low moods for no reason/ random outbursts of tears and almost constant heart palpatations. I was then put up to 20mg after a few weeks as it was helping but i was still feeling low. I have a few questions that i can't answer myself, nobody around me can answer, and that i'm too nervous to ask my doctor about.
First of all did anyone else's diagnosis come as a bit of a shock? I mean obviously i knew I wasn't well but i had suspected iron deficiency as i'm a vegetarian and often find it difficult to eat as healthy as i know i should and try to cheat my way around getting nutrients with daily vitamins (I'm just too lazy to cook). When my doctor said he thinks i have depression i honestly laughed though, because for the past two years i've always considered myself such a happy, carefree person- even my friends and family describe me as a ray of sunshine? Three months post diagnosis and i still can't quite get my head around it. Anyone else feel the same?
Next, sex drive. As I'm writing this i ask myself "What sex drive?" but SERIOUSLY i've gone from being a very sexual very intimate being to not even bothering about it. Sometimes i'll have sex just because i know i SHOULD want to and would have wanted to. Its really annoying because i want to...but i don't? Has anyone else experienced this and does anyone know what might help?
Finally, i don't know whats up with this one but its the one I'm most worried about when I'm on my meds i feel like i can't concentrate as well or for as long. I'm currently studying for my AS-Levels and am finding myself zoning out in lessons and in the middle of mock tests more and more frequently- you can understand why this is a worry. Whats weird is this week i forgot to take them two days in a row and i felt a lot more awake and found it much easier to revise, but i think thats most likely because i'd convinced myself i would be because i hadn't taken them?
i guess I'm just a bit sceptical when it comes to the whole antidepressants citalopram scandal as i like to call it. If anyone has any advice or experience or even just anything they think COULD help, please let me know. THANKS

see this page for side-effects of citalopram
http://www.emedicinehealth.com/drug-citalopram_oral/article_em.htm

e.g: decreased sex drive is a side effect. You should discuss with your doctor any changes to medication. Please do not make any changes to your prescription without talking to your doctor and DO NOT take medical advice from individuals on the student room.
Reply 2
X

I suffered from the lack of sex-drive on citalopram :/ It was such a relief to come off it and be on another drug. It does and will return if it's decided between you and your GP that Citalopram isn't for you :smile:
Hi,

Have you been tested for vitamin deficiencies too? If not it's probably worth asking.
ADs including citalopram have loads of side effects and I can't remember them all, but it sounds like they are side effects. They will often pass in a couple of months after going on, but it's worth checking in with your doc if they persist or are bothering you cos they may be able to do something about it.

Sex drive changes and apathy are deffinately possible side effects and i'm sure a loss of focus would link in too. Sex drive is one that I think tends to stay so you may want to discuss options with your doc about that.
I found that things like increased anxiety and mood swings passed in a few months.

It takes a while for your system to get totaly used to the change and you'll tend to feel worse in that time. You may be able to treat the symptoms a bit for some things but you just need to push through really.

I would look into deficiencies and things if you havent already. Just cos you've been diagnosed with depression doesn't mean you don't have deficiencis and they may actually be contributing.
I'd say you're getting to the end of the settling period so it might be worth checking in with a doc and talking about the side effects.
Reply 4
see this page for side-effects of citalopram
http://www.emedicinehealth.com/drug-citalopram_oral/article_em.htm

e.g: decreased sex drive is a side effect. You should discuss with your doctor any changes to medication. Please do not make any changes to your prescription without talking to your doctor and DO NOT take medical advice from individuals on the student room.

Thankyou, that site was really helpful :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Deyesy
I suffered from the lack of sex-drive on citalopram :/ It was such a relief to come off it and be on another drug. It does and will return if it's decided between you and your GP that Citalopram isn't for you :smile:

Thankyou !!
Reply 6
Have you been tested for vitamin deficiencies too? If not it's probably worth asking.
ADs including citalopram have loads of side effects and I can't remember them all, but it sounds like they are side effects. They will often pass in a couple of months after going on, but it's worth checking in with your doc if they persist or are bothering you cos they may be able to do something about it.

Sex drive changes and apathy are deffinately possible side effects and i'm sure a loss of focus would link in too. Sex drive is one that I think tends to stay so you may want to discuss options with your doc about that.
I found that things like increased anxiety and mood swings passed in a few months.

It takes a while for your system to get totaly used to the change and you'll tend to feel worse in that time. You may be able to treat the symptoms a bit for some things but you just need to push through really.

I would look into deficiencies and things if you havent already. Just cos you've been diagnosed with depression doesn't mean you don't have deficiencis and they may actually be contributing.
I'd say you're getting to the end of the settling period so it might be worth checking in with a doc and talking about the side effects.

Yeah, i asked about deficiencies and he said what i was describing didn't really fit in and said i wasn't displaying any physical signs either so it wasn't likely. But thank you so much, i'm gonna chat to him about it next time i see him :smile:
Reply 7
It's difficult to say in either direction as what you describe are also symptoms of depression - including the lack of concentration.

It would be a good idea to request a medication review where you can discuss this in depth. It is very difficult without a full history or a full idea of medication etc to know. Whereas your doctor would have access to most of this info and you can fill in the rest.

Side effect lists on antidepressants tend to look similar. So I wouldn't read too much into that but just report how you're feeling and work with your doctor to see what might be meds and what might be depression. There's so many types of antidepressants, you could try a different one and see how you go
Not reading your post cos paragraphs but i find i lose concentration / zone out when i have not been taking them (Maybe withdrawal side effects idk)

Quick Reply

Latest