Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So I'm starting FY1 this year and I've got Psychiatry as my second rotation. Given my history of depression and eating disorders, this makes me more than a little uncomfortable. I'm nicely recovered now (more or less anyway) but there's always the possibility of relapsing. How much should I tell my clinical supervisor? Is it advisable to do so in the first place?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    So I'm starting FY1 this year and I've got Psychiatry as my second rotation. Given my history of depression and eating disorders, this makes me more than a little uncomfortable. I'm nicely recovered now (more or less anyway) but there's always the possibility of relapsing. How much should I tell my clinical supervisor? Is it advisable to do so in the first place?

Whether you tell you supervisor or not really depends on how comfortable you feel about disclosing that information. Bear in mind that if it is written down in your supervisor forms on ePortfolio, the information will be accessible to you future supervisors and programme director. If you are going to tell them, you don't necessarily have to tell them during the first meeting - you can always see how things go and ask for a mid-placement meeting if you find that things are becoming a problem.

Since you mention the possibility of relapse, is there anything in particular you are concerned about being triggering for you? It might be worth thinking about this before you start just so that you know which situations might be a little more stressful. Also, whether you will actually face these triggers on a day-to-day basis (e.g. whether you will be working in an EDU or old age psychiatry etc.)

Sorry I can't be of any more use. I'm also in the same boat but for F2 and also feeling a little uneasy about it, but hopefully it will go OK...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

It is up to you really. If you choose to disclose they may be able to offer you some additional support and make some adjustments if you were to find some aspects of the job difficult. Do you know what setting you are going to be working in? If you are going to be based on a general adult ward or OP department you are unlikely to come across many patients with eating disorders. There will be a few people with severe depression around but the bulk of depression and anxiety management is now done in primary care.

I would argue that you will have more chance of a relapse in a busy medical or surgical job with shift working impacting on your sleep, being too busy to have a proper meal etc FY1s in psych are fairly protected and don't normally do on call so it may be much less stressful than what you imagine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.