Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently a first year studying adult nursing, however through my placements I've come to the realisation that this is not what I want to do, and I want to study medicine.

I do not have A levels as I took BTEC Health and Social Care, I got D*D*D*. I know that no uni will accept me for 5 year medicine with the grades I currently have and realise this needs to be part of a future plan, however I have loads of questions and don't know who to put them to :/

If I have a degree in nursing do I still need A levels?
    Am I able to get NHS funding for a second degree?
    Do I need 3 A levels? (I have one AS in English Language, and could take Bio and Chem alongside my degree)
    Would I be able to do an accelerated degree or would I have to do the 5 years as standard?
    I only get limited SFE funding as I'm on an NHS course (around 2K for my living costs), would I be able to apply to them to make up the rest of my tuition fees as I haven't had tuition fee money from them yet?
    Am I eligible for the 6 year degree anywhere?

I know I have the option of quitting my degree and studying more, then starting medicine, but I'm scared to take the plunge, as it's taken this long to believe in myself that I could master medicine, but I know it's where my heart belongs. I undertook nursing as a substitute to that, but I can't see myself nursing for the rest of my life.

Gah! Life melt >.<

ReputationRep:
    If I have a degree in nursing do I still need A levels?
    It depends on where you apply (for grad entry medicine). I think a small number don't have A-level requirements, however you'd need to finish with a 2:1 in your current degree to apply.
    Am I able to get NHS funding for a second degree?
    Idk, someone else is probably more knowledgeable on this. However I think that the course for grad-entry medicine has its own funding.
    Do I need 3 A levels? (I have one AS in English Language, and could take Bio and Chem alongside my degree)
    For 5-year yes. For 4-year grad entry, maybe.
    Would I be able to do an accelerated degree or would I have to do the 5 years as standard?
    It depends on what courses you apply to. I linked you above to the graduates accelerated degree.
    Am I eligible for the 6 year degree anywhere?
    Most 6-year courses are designed for widening participation for people who lack the a-level subject combinations (arts/hums subjects instead of bio/chem) needed for the standard 5-year course. There are also a couple designed for students with the right A-level subjects in addition to meeting certain socio-economic criteria. These courses require A-levels and are usually barred from people who have finished/or are currently enrolled in another degree. These courses are really competitive as the number of places is tiny.

I have received an offer for a 6-year degree (so year 0+ 5yr medicine ).The courses I applied to detailed that you won't be accepted if you have previously enrolled in further education.

EDIT: I honestly don't know if it's worth quitting your degree btw. I would say to stick with your degree and apply for grad med, but without a-levels you won't exactly be spoilt for choice. + it's doubly hard getting a high marks in a degree you don't really like much. if u do stay on your degree, spend a lot of time gaining work exp and revise for the GAMSAT and UKCAT (depending on where u can apply)

ReputationRep:
    Finish up nursing with a 2:i or First and you could apply to SGUL, Swansea, Nottingham, Newcastle and Warwick for a 4 year course. No need for A Levels, just start preparing for UKCAT and/or GAMSAT. Don't quit midway through a degree, that would really shut down your options.

The extra qualification will help get you extra points needed for foundation application too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.