Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone. I'm just about to sit my GCSEs and am predicted 9A*s and a couple of As, and need advice with A-Level choices....
    I've applied to take chemistry, biology, psychology and French. I want more variation in my subjects than just triple science (although I love physics), and really just don't want to take maths (I'm sorry people who love it!!). Have read on the page discussing unis and medicine requirements that you absolutely NEED chemistry and pretty much need biology, so that's all good, but do you think my other two choices are alright? Ideally I'd like to do the Medicine with French course at Manchester where you take a term out to work in France. I'm also considering swapping psychology for English literature, so opinions on that from medics please?
    I thinkkkk, as long as I have chem and bio to really good grades (which should be doable, obviously with hard work), and experience (care home, hospital and work experience - which I've either got or am in the process of applying for), it should be enough to get into uni to do medicine? Sorry for such a long post - thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kapowginger)
    Hi everyone. I'm just about to sit my GCSEs and am predicted 9A*s and a couple of As, and need advice with A-Level choices....
    I've applied to take chemistry, biology, psychology and French. I want more variation in my subjects than just triple science (although I love physics), and really just don't want to take maths (I'm sorry people who love it!!). Have read on the page discussing unis and medicine requirements that you absolutely NEED chemistry and pretty much need biology, so that's all good, but do you think my other two choices are alright? Ideally I'd like to do the Medicine with French course at Manchester where you take a term out to work in France. I'm also considering swapping psychology for English literature, so opinions on that from medics please?
    I thinkkkk, as long as I have chem and bio to really good grades (which should be doable, obviously with hard work), and experience (care home, hospital and work experience - which I've either got or am in the process of applying for), it should be enough to get into uni to do medicine? Sorry for such a long post - thank you!!
    Your other two choices are fine. English would also be fine. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Choose anything you like so long as you're confident you'll get 'A's

ReputationRep:
    Yeah your options are fine.

Either Psychology or English Literature would be fine, so I don't think it would matter which one you go for there.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Well done on those predicted grades - and it's great that you've already decided to study Medicine - well done! (plus Medicine with French sounds like a great combo )

Your subject choices are absolutely fine! There's no point studying a subject at A level that you don't think you'll enjoy, as it may hurt your chances of getting a good grade in it.

Most universities require 2 sciences at A level and normally specify something like "Chemistry or Biology, and another science or Maths" - which means that Maths isn't a necessity.

However, have you thought about how much maths you'll need to do during your medical degree? As a medical student, you have to do some maths like drug calculations and statistics. Of course, you'll be taught how to do both once you're at uni in the relevant courses/modules. But, it's just something for you to bear in mind!

Also, if you want to double check your A level requirements, use our free Medical School Comparison Tool! It's really easy to use, and helps you to see exactly what grades and subjects you need for the unis you want to apply to.

We hope the above helps,
    The Medic Portal

ReputationRep:
    Those choices are perfect for Medicine. Some universities (Especially UCL, they give 'slight preference' to candidates that show rigorous non-science subjects at a-level: English Lit or French would count here) like you having differing subjects. Be warned though, Cambridge University basically requires you to do 3 science/maths a-levels for admission. I think they stated 95%+ of those given an offer were taking 3 or more science-like subjects. So unless you're Cambridge-bound, do what you like for the other two subjects - I certainly regretted choosing maths and wish I did English instead!

ReputationRep:
    To clarify, UCL is the ONLY university with this preference

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Medic Portal)
    However, have you thought about how much maths you'll need to do during your medical degree? As a medical student, you have to do some maths like drug calculations and statistics.

The Medic Portal
    drug calculations/ statistics?.... eehhh... None preclinical or 1 year of clinical placements in my university at least... still 2 years to go so maybe?
    I did do a level physics and maths though and studied BSc genetics before which had a ton of stats and have done thoguh calculations in that link many times before anwya! so I'd be fine, but lots of people don't study A level maths and are perfectly fine.

So to OP, jsut check which universities you are thinking about applying to, generally your options should be fine for most universities though, but double check!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.