Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Advice and Help Needed watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey I am in year 12, have just completed my AS Levels. THe thing is, I really have no clue about universities. I feel like our school is really bad at informing us.... i dont know about tuition fees, loans, grants, i dont know any of the terminology people here use, i dont know what course i want or where i want to go. I know its easy to say ''no pressure you have time''

but i went to this thing at northampton college where all the unis were there, and came home with about 50 prospecti... and what do i do with them!? i try to read but i have no idea about the reputation of each thing.. i dont even know what points are or how they get converted from grades to points.

im totally clueless and im getting panicked because time is running out, there are choices that need to be made and i feel like im nowhere near ready to make them.

at as i am studying psychology, business and i.t.

if i try my HARDEST i may well get BBC.

is there any hope

Here is a few links to give you somestarting points, if you have any questions then post them here and we'll do our best to help!!!

THE APPLICATION SYSTEM

UNIVERSITY RANKINGS

UNOFFICIAL UNIVERSITY GUIDES

STUDENT FINANCE

You have great grades and I'm sure that you will be a fantastic student. You should try and decide what interests you and what you think you could study for several years and still maintain an interest in. Then move on and actually try and decipher between all of the different universiites on offer to you. After many visits and conversations with many many advisors you will undoubtedly find the perfect course and location for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by worried_mess)
    Hey I am in year 12, have just completed my AS Levels. THe thing is, I really have no clue about universities. I feel like our school is really bad at informing us.... i dont know about tuition fees, loans, grants, i dont know any of the terminology people here use, i dont know what course i want or where i want to go. I know its easy to say ''no pressure you have time''

but i went to this thing at northampton college where all the unis were there, and came home with about 50 prospecti... and what do i do with them!? i try to read but i have no idea about the reputation of each thing.. i dont even know what points are or how they get converted from grades to points.

im totally clueless and im getting panicked because time is running out, there are choices that need to be made and i feel like im nowhere near ready to make them.

at as i am studying psychology, business and i.t.

if i try my HARDEST i may well get BBC.

is there any hope

Check out http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,716,00.html and look at the university/subject tables. Its not definitive but it serves as a decent guide.
    In terms of reputation the Russel and 1994 groups include pretty much all the best universities though not all.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys... i have some general questions I am sure have been discussed one thousand times before but here goes

1) Is it possible to have a room to yourself? Not that I am anti social (far from it) but I really think I need my own space after living with my brother all this time, at the end of the day i really think my own little room would be perfect.

2) I should be eligible for a grant of £1000.. will this get paid in its entirety to my bank for when i start uni?

3) What about bringing things like TV's... I have my own here that id like to take even if my room has one already (its a widescreen).. and what about tv licenses?

4) Do universities know if they were your first, second, LAST choice?

5) what does ''going into clearing'' mean?

6) Some unis offer a year in america for american studies. does this opportunity become void if you combine it with another subject? (i am considering business with american studies- any views on this course?)

7) Will people think its weird if i dont bring any photos with me?

thanks guys n gals

ReputationRep:
    awww, i remember when i was like this! i really didnt have a clue about anything at about this time last year!

you'll be fine as time goes on - you'll find out everything!

i'm not gonna answer any questions though cause there are cleverer people here than me!!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks sparky youve been great so far, would u mind chatting over msn sometime?thanks!

1) Is it possible to have a room to yourself? Not that I am anti social (far from it) but I really think I need my own space after living with my brother all this time, at the end of the day i really think my own little room would be perfect.

Single room accomodation is standard in pretty much all university owned properties. You should have no problems in this department at all because most people at uni ahave thier own room and shre communal facilities such as fridges, freezers etc....

2) I should be eligible for a grant of £1000.. will this get paid in its entirety to my bank for when i start uni?

Yep, you will recieve the entire grant alongside you student loan when you start. It is normally paid directly into your bank account or via cheque if thre is no account to pay it into.

3) What about bringing things like TV's... I have my own here that id like to take even if my room has one already (its a widescreen).. and what about tv licenses?

Students with TV's are required to have a license but some decide to risk it rather than pay the discounted rate that students get. It completely up to you to sort out though. Most uni's also have a common room of some description where you can watch TV without having a license or needing to worry about anyone knocking on the door.

4) Do universities know if they were your first, second, LAST choice?

When you apply you do not specify any preference towards any university. Each university has no idea where you have applied until you accept any offers you may hold.

5) what does ''going into clearing'' mean?

Clearing is run from results day in August right the way through till October, it is where students without a university place apply directly to individual universities that still have places available. More information is available at www.ucas.com

6) Some unis offer a year in america for american studies. does this opportunity become void if you combine it with another subject? (i am considering business with american studies- any views on this course?)

Study abroad is a tremendous oppourtunity and can help you grow as a person aswell as looking good on you CV. You should consult the university conceared about each course though because it will be different from uni to uni about what courses they are allowed to offer it on. I would think that if you couple a major and a minor subject then you will not have too many problems requesting study abroad because uni's seem quite willing to have able student act as ambassadors (sp?) for them.

7) Will people think its weird if i dont bring any photos with me?

I'm taking a life size poster of James Dean Bradfield and a Kate Hudson poster. Other than that I'm not taking many photos and I don't think its at all wierd not to.

If you have any more questions or didnt understand my twaddle then please ask /post / shout at me!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey
    [B
    )

4) Do universities know if they were your first, second, LAST choice?[/B]

When you apply you do not specify any preference towards any university. Each university has no idea where you have applied until you accept any offers you may hold.
    this was a popular opinion in my school - that you had to give an order of preference for the uni's you apply for.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone, I feel I am on my way now thanks to you lot!!

Tomorrow I will probably come back and post some more

does anyone wanna chat on msn with me about it? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone, I feel I am on my way now thanks to you lot!!

Tomorrow I will probably come back and post some more

does anyone wanna chat on msn with me about it? Thanks!
    Go on then.

ReputationRep:

A lot of Unis offer either a year or a semester abroad in almost any degree subject- the Socrates-Erasmus program or something.

ReputationRep:
    Realistically I have about 8 weeks to make my decisions, because I want to get my UCAS application sent out as soon as I can, but right now I just feel so clueless. Ive counted the prospectuses (prospecti, whatever!) I have here and I only have 13, one of which is LSE which I'd never consider anyway!

In response to Leekey, there are a few things I could maintain an interest in such as business, psychology, american studies and media. But I wouldnt like a life long career in any of these!

And i dont have a clue what I want my career to be :confused:

Can anyone list a few good universities which cater for my tastes? About 10 so I can research on the net and visit their open days. And is a Business- American Studies degree better than standaline Business?

And i dont have a clue what I want my career to be :confused:

Can anyone list a few good universities which cater for my tastes? About 10 so I can research on the net and visit their open days. And is a Business- American Studies degree better than standaline Business?
    No knowing wha you want to be is a good thing....you have no idea how dull it is being focused on one career!!! :rolleyes:

If you give us an idea of the subjects and grades you do / expect to achieve then we will be able to offer much better advice.

ReputationRep:
    Hey well i already mentioned in my first post, but here is a rundown

AS LEVELS

ICT

Coursework- D
    Exam Prediction- B

Overall C

PSYCHOLOGY
    Coursework- C
    Exam Prediction- C

Business
    Coursework- Doing it now, should bag an A
    Exam prediction - B

A Levels

These are my realistic expectations

BUSINESS - B
    PSYCHOLOGY - B/C
    ICT- C

Thanks

Ok some random suggestions of places (one I like are marked)...

Aston
    Lancaster
    Loughborough
    Reading
    Cardiff
    Durham
    Newcastle

I'm sure someone else has some ideas too...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot, care to share your opinion on a joint American Studies/Business degree?

Thanks a lot, care to share your opinion on a joint American Studies/Business degree?
    To be honest I don't really know all that much about that (wow, rare to hear that in this forum). I would say that you should do something that you like and if you think that a joint AS/Buss degree is something that you would like to do and would be good at then I say go for it. At the end of the day you are th one that has to study it for 3+ years so you should make sure you are doing something you like. I would however suggst that if you are ONLY doing it for the chance to go to the USA (I know some people do this) then I would think carefully about it. Perhaps some on here who is doing something similar could be of more use on this topic than me. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Leekey - Thanks for all this info, I've been finding it useful too . Infact, everything I've learned about uni thus far has been from this forum.

(Original post by LS.)
    Leekey - Thanks for all this info, I've been finding it useful too . Infact, everything I've learned about uni thus far has been from this forum.
    As long as the place is useful I think everyone is happy to help!!!

ReputationRep:
    Im not too sure whether a double degree can accommodate a year abroad, but that is definitely a bonus for me.

other questions i have

1- If i defer entry until 2006 will top up fees apply to me?
    2- Am I right in saying there is no such thing as a first choice, apart from obviously your own personal preferences?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.