Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Advice and Help Needed watch

Announcements

(Original post by worried_mess)
    Im not too sure whether a double degree can accommodate a year abroad, but that is definitely a bonus for me.

other questions i have

1- If i defer entry until 2006 will top up fees apply to me?
    2- Am I right in saying there is no such thing as a first choice, apart from obviously your own personal preferences?
    1) If you are due to go to university under the current system (i.e. no top-up fees) but decide to take a gp year then you will NOT be affected by the changes and you will NOT pay top-up fees. While this has yet to be full formalised by parliament it appears to be the current state of things.

More information available in HERE!!!

2) When you apply you select 6 universities and you do not have to give any first choice at all. When you have the responses (i.e. acceptances or rejections) of all 6 of your uni's then you will be asked to select a firm choice and an insurance choice (to be used if you miss the grades for your firm choice). You don't have to say anything to uni's before this about which one you would really like to attend.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! I feel I have enough confidence now to properly investigate courses and institutions, and I am going to book a session with a Connexions advisor, because our school doesnt do anything like that :mad:

and I am going to book a session with a Connexions advisor, because our school doesnt do anything like that :mad:
    This is a great idea, I should probably have done this!!! Right now I'd like to thank PQ for educating me to a reasonable standard about this type of stuff!!!

ReputationRep:
    If i defer entry, is it possible to go to college and sit my exams again and get in at a better uni? or is that not possible?

If i defer entry, is it possible to go to college and sit my exams again and get in at a better uni? or is that not possible?
    Not by deffering entry no because this means you would already have a place at a university secured and you would have to go there. The only way to improve upon your results and get into a "better" university would be to not accept a place and in this round of applications (i.e. 2005) and wait till the next round before applying. Its NOT too late to get wonderful results though, through the wonders of resits and incredible amounts of hard work you CAN get the results to get you into any university in the UK. I promise you that hard work and grit determination are the best way to get you into any university and whatever your results in August, you can get any grade if you work hard enough for it.

ReputationRep:
    if you don't know what you want to do a joint degree is a great idea... at college i do Alevels in maths. psychology and philosophy... i hate philosophy so i'm a doing a maths/psychology degree (so it's like dropping a subject again...might go on to drop one of them at the end of first year, who knows)

if you do a degree like psychology you are by no means limited to going into psychological careers
    lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Lou, so out of these which would you choose if you were me (lol i know- just shoot me)

Business with American Studies
    Business with Psychology
    Business with Law
    Business with Media (if there is such a course)

EVERY subject is one i am interested in.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Lou, so out of these which would you choose if you were me (lol i know- just shoot me)

Business with American Studies
    Business with Psychology
    Business with Law
    Business with Media (if there is such a course)

EVERY subject is one i am interested in.
    i'm sure there are such courses. i would say the most 'respected' joint you could do from all your options is law and psychology... but these things vary so much from uni to uni and depends on entry requirements etc

have a look on www.ucas.com and go to 'course search', choose starting '2005' and the go to 'search' but in 2 of the subjects you want. you will then get a list of unis, select one and you will get course details, select 'entry requirements' and choose 'english blah blah'... there you will find how many points/ grades you need.

ucas tariff calculator
    tariff calculator

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, but there is NO WAY Id ever consider NOT doing business! Business is my safety net!

ReputationRep:
    good news everyone I have more stupid questions!!!!

-Bank accounts and money-

Ok, currently I have a 'normal' bank account with HSBC and I have a SOLO card. When I am going to uni, would it be appropriate to close this account and open up a new one? Or would all of the benefits of a student account automatically be put onto my current one at my request?

THis may sound naive, especially with me being a business A Level student, but will I need to use an overdraft? Considering I am taking roughly £2000 savings with me, I will get the £1000 grant every year PLUS the full loan amount and my parents will be giving me some because they dont pay anything towards the tuition fees. And I plan on having a part time job.....

Are uni bills (rent etc) paid by monthly credit transfer?

Insurance and firm offers

I *think* I understand these are, but can someone just give me a quick rundown on what they are, and if this may affect your accommodation? I know someone explained before but I find it hard to comprehend.

Also what is clearing?

Do i need to take.....
    • A wardrobe/ drawers?
    • Washing poweder and fabric conditioner? (i have NO idea how to work washing machines! never been in a laundrette!
    • A Tv Aerial?

thanks guys!

-Bank accounts and money-

Ok, currently I have a 'normal' bank account with HSBC and I have a SOLO card. When I am going to uni, would it be appropriate to close this account and open up a new one? Or would all of the benefits of a student account automatically be put onto my current one at my request?

THis may sound naive, especially with me being a business A Level student, but will I need to use an overdraft? Considering I am taking roughly £2000 savings with me, I will get the £1000 grant every year PLUS the full loan amount and my parents will be giving me some because they dont pay anything towards the tuition fees. And I plan on having a part time job.....

Are uni bills (rent etc) paid by monthly credit transfer?
    If you already have a bank account then you can either ask you bank to change your account to a students account so that you get the perks and free stuff that comes along with it. You may however decide to open a completely different account because you like the deals offered by another bank. If for instance you are like me and have a building society account instead of a bank account, you could open up a student account in a bank that offers the deal you like the most (Royal Bank Of Scotland for me ) and have both accounts running alongside eachother. As long as you only have ONE student bank account then you are fine.

Don't be silly, I know plenty of mega intelligent people that can't even spell overdraft (let alone know if they need one :rolleyes: ). I think that it is really up to you if you need to use an overdraft but it is probably nice to have one there just incase you need money very quickly for some reason (e.g. your rent is due and you have no cash at that time). From what you describe of your situation, you probably won't be needing one but it might be an idea to have it there incase of emergency etc...

For details of paying for accomodation you should look at the individual universities policies. In most cases I think that you can either pay the full amount at the start or pay it in monthly / termly installments. I don't think that they are going to be too bothered about the payment method to be honest (afterall you are giving them something like £3000-£4000)!!!

Insurance and firm offers
    I *think* I understand these are, but can someone just give me a quick rundown on what they are, and if this may affect your accommodation? I know someone explained before but I find it hard to comprehend.

Also what is clearing?
    When you have applied to all 6 universities that you are allowed to pick and they have all responded (i.e. accepted or rejected you), you will then be asked to pick one as your "firm" and one as "insurance". Your firm choice is the one that you would like to go to most and that you will be trying to get the right grades to meet the offer that they have made you. If you meet the grades for the offer that they have made you then you will go there and live happily ever after. If however you fail to meet the grades for your firm choice, you have your insurance. Your insurance will usually want lower grades than your firm because if you miss the grades for your firm but still meet the grades for your insurance then you will go there and live happily ever after.

If you fail to meet the grades for your firm and insurance offers then you will automatically be entered into clearing. This is a programme run by UCAS that finds places at university for students with places. Basically from results day to mid-October, the universities with spare places will advertise for students and if you find a course you like then you can apply directly to the university and hopefully gain a place even though you have missed your offers for your firm and insurance choices.

ReputationRep:
    OK, so do you HAVE to go to your firm? or can you accept another offer you didnt specify as firm or insurance?

OK, so do you HAVE to go to your firm? or can you accept another offer you didnt specify as firm or insurance?
    When you decide upon your firm and insurance choices you are forced to reject all your other offers so if you meet the grades for either of them you are forced to go there. You could always ask them to release you on results day but you would then have to go through UCAS clearing which can be a risky business.

Do i need to take.....
    • A wardrobe/ drawers?
    • Washing poweder and fabric conditioner? (i have NO idea how to work washing machines! never been in a laundrette!
    • A Tv Aerial?

A wardrobe/ drawers? - Usually both of them are provided by you university accomodation along with some other basic furniture.

Washing poweder and fabric conditioner? - You will need it AT uni but I woill probably buy it when I get there. Like you I have NO idea how to even go about washing my clothes without dying them funny colours so I should get learing ASAP!!! :rolleyes:

A Tv Aerial? You should check with you individual university but I think that most standard rooms don't come with external aerials, it might be worth taking a portable one if you plan on watching TV.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to you I was checking out Loughborough-

does ANYONE go there and what does anyone make of the Retail Management course? They are only after 280 points and it seems like a really nice place!

Thanks to you I was checking out Loughborough-

does ANYONE go there and what does anyone make of the Retail Management course? They are only after 280 points and it seems like a really nice place!
    Don;t know much about that course but the place is fantastic. It has one of the best teching reputations around and lots of the departments offer sandwich years in industry with a wide range of companies, giving you vital experience as well as a great education!!!

ReputationRep:
    Where's Mysticmin Leekey? I have noticed a lack of thread hijacking!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i was reading about that, it sounds perfect, I'm going to ask the 6th form head what he makes of it first though, but I have booked a place on the open day in sep!

(Original post by shiny)
    Where's Mysticmin Leekey? I have noticed a lack of thread hijacking!
    Seriously wierd aint it!!! :eek:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.