Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Brexiter have been wanting Btitain to leave the EU ever since Britain joined in the 1970s. Its been an ongoing low level buzz in the political soundscape for decades culminating in the once in a generation referendum we have in June.

So the Leavers have had plenty of time to prepare for the referendum and knowing they won't have another chance for another for 2 or 3 decades if they lost.

The most surprising thing for me is how poorly prepared they are to fight the referendum. They can't tell anyone with any certainty what will happen after a Leave vote, they have no substantial support from any respected and independent economics body like the LSE and their only response to criticism is to attack the person's parentage. They has years to do the work to put up a good case for leaving but it looks like the dog ate their homework.

Maybe they though Leaving is such an emotive issue for them that people don't need facts and figures, just to trust people like Boris Johnson and Michael Gove, either of which would suffer if companies moved and jobs are lost after a Leave vote.

I think the Leave campaign is a shambles and whoever is funding them ought to get their money back.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt if they are in shambles.
    They are just limbering up.

ReputationRep:
    you don't understand do you?
    uncertainty =/= the certainty of negatives. and certainty is not certainty of positives.
    and I'd personally like to know how on earth the people who always fail to accurately predict european/economic affairs are so sure that there are economic negatives to leaving the EU, compared to staying.

for instance, we could have certainty within the EU...rather, the certainty of global economic mediocrity, as the EU, as daniel hannan phrases it, "is the only stagnating continent other than antarctica"...having uncertainty in very minimalist terms is also the norm in political analysis. for instance, even HMRC usually fails to predict how much or how little the economy will grow per year. also, those who project the EU as serving our national economic interests have CONSTANTLY predicted things poorly, such as with the euro currency. and the lack of danger of having no delays on polish migration rights (even though every other EU country imposed these delays)

also, certainty *is*, to an extent the reliance upon fear, tradition and conservatism. I might be terrified of leaving my house, for example, because it is uncertain as to whether or not I'll get run over or mugged out there.
    but taking a risk and seeing what lies beyond my door will mean I have the opportunity to pursue positives. and until I leave my door, I'll never hope to achieve them
    so this will for certainty really is just fear and cowardice disguised as prudence.
    it can't be prudence though, because why is it prudent to stay in the EU when a) the EU is stagnating economically, and b) leaving it will not, overall, harm our economy vis-a-vis the absence of the membership costs?

we know what it's like within the EU: relatively bad economically (considering our potential) and surprisingly undemocratic for modern times (and continuously fails to make reasonable democratic reforms)
    surely it's better to at least poke our head around there in the world and make a judgement as to whether it's best to be in or out? how the **** are we ever really going to understand until we at least try it? we might be *significantly* better off outside. the countries outside of the EU just so happen to be the best performing nations, or the nations that trade the most with the EU/EU nation-states (switz and norway)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M14B)
    I doubt if they are in shambles.
    They are just limbering up.
    For the next referendum

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BubbleBoobies)
    you don't understand do you?
    uncertainty =/= the certainty of negatives. and certainty is not certainty of positives.
    and I'd personally like to know how on earth the people who always fail to accurately predict european/economic affairs are so sure that there are economic negatives to leaving the EU, compared to staying.

for instance, we could have certainty within the EU...rather, the certainty of global economic mediocrity, as the EU, as daniel hannan phrases it, "is the only stagnating continent other than antarctica"...having uncertainty in very minimalist terms is also the norm in political analysis. for instance, even HMRC usually fails to predict how much or how little the economy will grow per year. also, those who project the EU as serving our national economic interests have CONSTANTLY predicted things poorly, such as with the euro currency. and the lack of danger of having no delays on polish migration rights (even though every other EU country imposed these delays)

also, certainty *is*, to an extent the reliance upon fear, tradition and conservatism. I might be terrified of leaving my house, for example, because it is uncertain as to whether or not I'll get run over or mugged out there.
    but taking a risk and seeing what lies beyond my door will mean I have the opportunity to pursue positives. and until I leave my door, I'll never hope to achieve them
    so this will for certainty really is just fear and cowardice disguised as prudence.
    it can't be prudence though, because why is it prudent to stay in the EU when a) the EU is stagnating economically, and b) leaving it will not, overall, harm our economy vis-a-vis the absence of the membership costs?

we know what it's like within the EU: relatively bad economically (considering our potential) and surprisingly undemocratic for modern times (and continuously fails to make reasonable democratic reforms)
    surely it's better to at least poke our head around there in the world and make a judgement as to whether it's best to be in or out? how the **** are we ever really going to understand until we at least try it? we might be *significantly* better off outside. the countries outside of the EU just so happen to be the best performing nations, or the nations that trade the most with the EU/EU nation-states (switz and norway)
    Why do Brexiters want to keep doing Britain down. We have the 5th largest economy, all the countries above us have larger populations so its not surprising they are larger.

I think the real cowardice is not admitting we are doing pretty well within the EU and the glory days of a worldwide empire will never happen in anyones' lifetime.

Brexiters have no plan for what Britain will do if there was an Out vote and we all know Poor Planning leads to Piss Poor Performance.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.