The Student Room Group

Year 8 looking for advice!

Hello! I am Carter, in Year 8.
I have big aspirations of getting mostly A*'s in GCSE's and Sixth Form, and being accepted into Oxbridge, LSE or any other school allowing big opportunities, later on becoming an investment banker! I would like to do this job because I have such an interest in the stock market, even being a stock owner myself!

To boost myself forwards and achieve my goals and dreams, I was wondering what I should do to help boost my grades?

I would like to also do Spanish.

Would it be, an hour a night every night or just making notes in class and reading them to myself after school?

Any tips to get into such prestigious schools?

I like to plan ahead and be organised, so this is maybe why you are surprised at such a young boy is posting on here, but thanks anyways for your help!

Yours sincerely, Carter :smile:
Hi Carter!

When you get to GCSEs and A levels its a good idea to revise early along, e.g. Making notes mind map etc after learning and studying a topic in school.

Also do extra curricular clubs, maybe D of E, and try to get some work experience in y10 onwards, maybe at a bank.

I hope you achieve your goals! :smile:
Original post by CarterHarrison
Hello! I am Carter, in Year 8.
I have big aspirations of getting mostly A*'s in GCSE's and Sixth Form, and being accepted into Oxbridge, LSE or any other school allowing big opportunities, later on becoming an investment banker! I would like to do this job because I have such an interest in the stock market, even being a stock owner myself!

To boost myself forwards and achieve my goals and dreams, I was wondering what I should do to help boost my grades?

I would like to also do Spanish.

Would it be, an hour a night every night or just making notes in class and reading them to myself after school?

Any tips to get into such prestigious schools?

I like to plan ahead and be organised, so this is maybe why you are surprised at such a young boy is posting on here, but thanks anyways for your help!

Yours sincerely, Carter :smile:

Hey Carter!

You're never too young to start!!! :smile: I'm currently doing my GCSEs at the moment and I'm predicted A*s but I'm also aiming for Oxbridge.

If you want to get started now, I would suggest you pay attention in class. From year 7-9 all I did was being active in class. It's surprising how few people ask and answer questions and when you do, you'll find that your teacher will take a liking to you. Half the battle of getting good grades is getting your teacher to like you so that they want to help you when you're stuck! I realise that it sounds basic but it really does help.

You'll also find that if you focus and listen in class, you'll actually be able to remember specific things that the teacher has said (or at least I do!) When it comes to notes, it depends what's best for you.

In Science, I like to wait until we've finished a topic in class and then I treat the note making as trying to figure out what I don't understand and making sure I do. Sometimes this means that I have a lot to do at the end of a topic, especially if I've left it for a couple but I find that it works for me.

In a subject like French I tend not to make notes and instead I just look over what we've done and try to recall vocab. It depends a lot on the subject, how much you have to learn, how important it is and how you work best. (Trust me, you have plenty of time to figure that out until you get to the exams that matter!)

For Spanish, I'm guessing you don't learn it at school. Try Duolingo for learning Spanish from scratch and if you combine it with Memrise you'll be away. Memrise is flashcards with learning vocab. A lot of the courses are really good and there are loads of beginner courses. Duolingo is also very good and I would suggest you check them out.

Prestigious schools? I'm not sure what you mean but I'll guess. I'm at a good state school at the moment and next year I'm heading to a private school. Working on school work and getting good marks will help you but as @FabulouslyAwks suggested, getting involved in everything you can will help. Schools don't want people who can only contribute academically, they also want people who can be an asset to the school in other things too.

I hope that this helps! I seem to have written an essay but I'm happy to answer any questions you might have!
Arabella

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending