Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Really need advice regarding potential long distance meet up! watch

Hi guys!

Im in a bit of a pickle. So I met this guy online; he's 100% legit and there is something between us, that's for sure. I'm in the Uk and he's in Germany.

We're both wanting to meet; however, as I still live at home (19) and him being a few years older and having his own place and everything, we agreed it would be both easier and cheaper for me to travel there. He's willing to fully support me and provide accommodation, food and anything like that. He's only asking I get my passport (which I don't have) and book flights: he'll sort the rest.

The only problem is, I don't know how I'd approach my family with the idea of me going abroad alone. Telling them

ReputationRep:
    Hi there! Are you sure this is a good idea... Willingly providing you accommodation seems a bit fishy to me, especially if you've never seen face-to-face. I know it sounds like he's 100% legit (and hey, maybe he is), but for me, it's never a good idea to meet with someone you've met online.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Imo no. Too risky. He should come to the UK. All sorts of alarm bells that he would propose this and not see the risks from your point of view.
    Your parents will not like it at all. Soynds like a very bad idea.

Maybe in the future if you'd met him and hed met your parents plus you knew a lot more about him, but not by yourself.
    This happened recently to a friend of mine, but he was male. he went there and it worked out well, but he met the parents.

ReputationRep:
    How do you know he is 100% legit? Even if he is who he says he is, it doesn't mean he isn't hiding his true intentions towards you. It doesn't sound like a good idea to me to be staying with him at his place for your first meeting, even taking out the safety aspect it puts a lot of pressure on your first meeting. What if you don't like him or vice versa? What if you don't click as well as you did online? You're stuck there, relying on him for food and shelter and he has all the power in this situation. I would suggest you meet somewhere in the middle, book a B&B maybe for night or two somewhere near the coast of Germany or the UK and see how you get on.

As for telling your family, tell them you're going away to meet up with a friend for a few days. Leave details of where you're staying and his name etc., for safety reasons. Just, do not go and stay with him. It's the wrong decision in every possible way. How long have you even known this guy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi guys!

Im in a bit of a pickle. So I met this guy online; he's 100% legit and there is something between us, that's for sure. I'm in the Uk and he's in Germany.

We're both wanting to meet; however, as I still live at home (19) and him being a few years older and having his own place and everything, we agreed it would be both easier and cheaper for me to travel there. He's willing to fully support me and provide accommodation, food and anything like that. He's only asking I get my passport (which I don't have) and book flights: he'll sort the rest.

The only problem is, I don't know how I'd approach my family with the idea of me going abroad alone. Telling them
    I'd advise that the first time you meet, that you don't stay in the same accommodation, for safeties sake.
    If he's a decent person he wouldn't take it personally, and would understand. Even use your parents as the reasoning if you have to.

When I met with a girl from Edinburgh (who is now my Girlfriend) I booked an Airbnb for myself, thus meaning that I wouldn't have to stay at hers making it awkward if we didn't get along as well. Merely a precaution really.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 3, 2016
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.