chloemichelle97
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I've firmed Newcastle University to study English Language.
I've got the typical offer of ABB but I'm nervous I won't get the A; what are the chances they'd still accept me with say BBB?
Have any of you missed the grades but still got in? Thank you
Ed-McCall
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I've also applied for Language next year so not speaking from direct experience, but I've been told that if you're out by one grade, if the course isn't over subscribed you are fairly safe, especially as your firm! Hope that's somewhat reassuring, maybe see you in September!
Newcastle University
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by chloemichelle97)
I've got the typical offer of ABB but I'm nervous I won't get the A; what are the chances they'd still accept me with say BBB?
Hi,

I wouldn't worry too much If you dropped a grade you'd be considered a near-miss candidate, which means your application would still be considered. The selector will look at your UCAS form again with other near misses, then the number they accept depends on how many places have already been filled etc etc

Preference is given to people who have put Newcastle as their firm, so you're in a good position Unless the conditions of your offer specified, for example, "must achieve an A in English Language," then I wouldn't be too concerned

Persephone
dezza156
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by chloemichelle97)
Hi there! My offer was AAB, with needing an A in Mathematics - I ended up with ABBB (an extra A level in Maths) and they let me in no problem! I've also know someone who got CCC at A Level and still managed to get into English Language at Newcastle so I really wouldn't worry if I were you! (said person is failing really badly though so if anyone is on these grades I'd say Newcastle is not the uni for you!)

If you'd like a general overview of Newcastle Uni life check out my blog at http://thelifeofanewcastlestudent.blogspot.co.uk/
chloemichelle97
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ed-McCall)
I've also applied for Language next year so not speaking from direct experience, but I've been told that if you're out by one grade, if the course isn't over subscribed you are fairly safe, especially as your firm! Hope that's somewhat reassuring, maybe see you in September!
Sorry I've just seen your reply!
Ah awesome, thank you so much for your response Ya hopefully see you in September; good luck!
chloemichelle97
Rep:
?
(Original post by Newcastle University)
Hi,

I wouldn't worry too much If you dropped a grade you'd be considered a near-miss candidate, which means your application would still be considered. The selector will look at your UCAS form again with other near misses, then the number they accept depends on how many places have already been filled etc etc

Preference is given to people who have put Newcastle as their firm, so you're in a good position Unless the conditions of your offer specified, for example, "must achieve an A in English Language," then I wouldn't be too concerned

Persephone
Ah okay that makes sense, thank you!
I was just getting a bit worried because I'm having a slight nightmare with English literature and I'm not sure what grade I'm gonna end up with.
I feel a bit better now, thank you so much
chloemichelle97
Rep:
?
(Original post by dezza156)
Hi there! My offer was AAB, with needing an A in Mathematics - I ended up with ABBB (an extra A level in Maths) and they let me in no problem! I've also know someone who got CCC at A Level and still managed to get into English Language at Newcastle so I really wouldn't worry if I were you! (said person is failing really badly though so if anyone is on these grades I'd say Newcastle is not the uni for you!)

If you'd like a general overview of Newcastle Uni life check out my blog at http://thelifeofanewcastlestudent.blogspot.co.uk/
Oh wow, cool! Congrats on getting in
I'm on BBB at the moment and I'm pretty confident I can get the A in language but I'm finding literature pretty difficult so I'm worried I won't maintain my B
I heard Newcastle are pretty lenient with grades but I wasn't sure if it was actually true. Thank you for your response
11hmartin
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm in exactly the same position- also firmed Newcastle for English and I don't think I'll get the A hopefully we'll both be there in September x
lozza1795
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by 11hmartin)
I'm in exactly the same position- also firmed Newcastle for English and I don't think I'll get the A hopefully we'll both be there in September x
did you get in?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (280)
47.3%
No (69)
11.66%
I'm not old enough (243)
41.05%

Watched Threads