Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I need an advice.
    I'm 26, Ukrainian. To become a doctor was a dream since I remember myself, however "life is not that easy")). I have bachelor degree in biology (studied at human physiology department at Taras Shevchenko National University of Kiev, Ukraine).

This year I can apply for settlement, and UK passport and these give me the opportunity to "finish" my education. I could not afford to study as foreign student(with foreign passport), and there was a time I thought I would never have a chance to achieve my dream.

(I was planning to switch to the medical school in my country, however marriage and moving to a different country changed my plans at that time).

Can you please suggest the best route for me? What do I need? GCSE? (If to assume I have the UK passport). Any differences having bachelor degree (biology)?

I have interest in neuropathology, as I was studying neuroscience and psycophysiology.

I'm not looking through the rose-tinted glasses, it would be not easy after 5-year break, however due to my background I'm quite serious and know what I want.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Regards,
    Victoria
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Hi there!

What qualifications did you get from your school when you were younger? You don't need GCSEs, but you do need some form of equivalent; that counts for A Levels too, which are more important. Each university needs different things so I really recommend contacting each one you're interested in applying to and checking with them. Your bachelor degree is a good platform, but that would mean you'd apply as a post-graduate student, which is quite a bit harder to do. Universities usually rely on your work/life experience and admission test (UKCAT/BMAT) scores for post-graduates although that's not true for all.

"I could not afford to study as foreign student"

You'd still be counted as an international student and would therefore need to pay the international fees still - Ukraine isn't on the list for EU fees, so you could need to pay as much as £39,000. This is different for different universities so check each one.

"I have interest in neuropathology"

Good to put in your personal statement but be aware that over the course of 5 years, this may change! Try not to set your heart on one thing too early!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, thank you for the reply!
    I have got all the information (already))).

I thought that I would not qualify as graduate student, but I actually do)) So that's a good news for me. In my school I had mostly all AAA, some AAA* and some AAB)) but that was a long time ago. I will apply for the British citizenship quite soon, otherwise I do not have any chances because of the cost.

Thanks again ;-)!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by KindredVik)
    Hi, thank you for the reply!
    I have got all the information (already))).

I thought that I would not qualify as graduate student, but I actually do)) So that's a good news for me. In my school I had mostly all AAA, some AAA* and some AAB)) but that was a long time ago. I will apply for the British citizenship quite soon, otherwise I do not have any chances because of the cost.

Thanks again ;-)!
    No problem Bear in mind that a British passport does not mean you'll get a loan for living costs/UK fees, and your university fees will be higher too since Ukraine isn't within the European Union. You'd need to actually be living in the UK for a substantial period of time before applying to university in order to pay UK/EU fees. Having a British passport, but living in Ukraine, or even living in the UK for a few months, will not suffice unfortunately I'd contact Student Finance UK, and your choices of university, about this to check.

ReputationRep:
    I live in the UK. I moved around 5 years ago, after marriage. That's why I haven't finished Master degree. And having the Ukraine passport (in the UK) is quite an obstacle. As you have mentioned previously the fees are completely different.

Now, I'm eligible for settlement and British citizenship , so I have a chance to fight for my dream))

Sorry for being confusing!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by KindredVik)
    I live in the UK. I moved around 5 years ago, after marriage. That's why I haven't finished Master degree. And having the Ukraine passport (in the UK) is quite an obstacle. As you have mentioned previously the fees are completely different.

Now, I'm eligible for settlement and British citizenship , so I have a chance to fight for my dream))

Sorry for being confusing!
    Ah I see! Should be UK fees then No problem. Let me know if you have anything else you need answering (please quote me or I don't get notified!)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.