The Student Room Group

Revision Thus Far

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pennyarcade
****ing hell

I'm a first year medical student, have an exam in 20ish days and even I'm not doing 6 hours a day.

May I ask as you are a medical student what you achieved in your highers if you don't mind me asking as I am very interested in medicine and I am very worried about getting the grades especially for maths and physics and chemistry
Original post by Zrehman24
May I ask as you are a medical student what you achieved in your highers if you don't mind me asking as I am very interested in medicine and I am very worried about getting the grades especially for maths and physics and chemistry

Apologies for answering on his behalf, but for medicine AAAAA the norm, you might be able to get away with AAAAB but you will still be expected to get good results at advanced higher aswell.

A's are a prerequisite, top class bull shitting skills gets you a place on the course

Posted from TSR Mobile
A's are a prerequisite, top class bull shitting skills gets you a place on the course

Posted from TSR Mobile

i presume you achieved AAAAA, and I just want advice about the application process because most universities the minimum is AAAAB? And you could very much secure a place with AAAAB provided good UKCAT Score and work experience and voluntary work etc
Reply 24
i presume you achieved AAAAA, and I just want advice about the application process because most universities the minimum is AAAAB? And you could very much secure a place with AAAAB provided good UKCAT Score and work experience and voluntary work etc

Nothing guarantees you a secure though. Interviews matter a hell of a lot. Then again, who knows :P

Aye you could get in with AAAAB if you had a decent ukcat. Obvs better with 5A's though.

Don't fret over volunteering and work experience. You can literally just lie to the interviewer and say you've been volunteering for 3 years, they're never gonna check.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Aye you could get in with AAAAB if you had a decent ukcat. Obvs better with 5A's though.

Don't fret over volunteering and work experience. You can literally just lie to the interviewer and say you've been volunteering for 3 years, they're never gonna check.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Classic interview technique right there lol.

Edinburgh asked for my bronze dofe, thank god I didn't lie about that. Then again that was ps.
Original post by Yammy
Classic interview technique right there lol.

Edinburgh asked for my bronze dofe, thank god I didn't lie about that. Then again that was ps.

If I was to do it again, I'd lie a hell of alot more than I did. Volunteering? Mate, I'm at the hospital 5 nights a week and spend my weekends doing MMA, swimming, rowing, sailing and teaching primary school children how to pass higher maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
If I was to do it again, I'd lie a hell of alot more than I did. Volunteering? Mate, I'm at the hospital 5 nights a week and spend my weekends doing MMA, swimming, rowing, sailing and teaching primary school children how to pass higher maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They primary school children should've passed that higher paper, it was easy enough!
Original post by JP298
They primary school children should've passed that higher paper, it was easy enough!

Too right. Same questions every year. If you've done 10 years of past papers you have no excuse

Posted from TSR Mobile
Too right. Same questions every year. If you've done 10 years of past papers you have no excuse

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh hey, I remember you! How's med school?
Reply 31

Posted from TSR Mobile

:h:
Original post by WithoutMuchHope
Oh hey, I remember you! How's med school?

Course you do hun

Decent enough, uni definitely changes your perspective of things quite a bit. I'm not really that fussed with academics anymore, more just doing what needs to be done.

It's definitely not as hard as it's made out to be, although the constant rote learning does get really annoying. The patient side of things is class though.

How's whatever you're doing (maths? Physics? Idk)
That's interesting and good to hear! My parents don't want me to do medicine because they say you won't have a life and after you graduate you'll be working constantly but I really like want tip do medicine because it's fascinating
That's interesting and good to hear! My parents don't want me to do medicine because they say you won't have a life and after you graduate you'll be working constantly but I really like want tip do medicine because it's fascinating

Ask them what "having a life" actually means. You could spend your days in a hospital, saving lives in A&E/persuading someone with chronic depression to give life one more chance/doing life saving surgery to someone who means so much to many people, or you could work in a 9-5 office job, wallowing away at spreadsheets, hoping your boss doesn't catch you watching youtube vloggers during work hours. Which one is "having a life"?
Ask them what "having a life" actually means. You could spend your days in a hospital, saving lives in A&E/persuading someone with chronic depression to give life one more chance/doing life saving surgery to someone who means so much to many people, or you could work in a 9-5 office job, wallowing away at spreadsheets, hoping your boss doesn't catch you watching youtube vloggers during work hours. Which one is "having a life"?

That's exactly what I think if having a life means I'm stuck with a tedious job which I hate that's not having a life at all id rather do something which is stimulating and benefiting and helping others in a time of need where the satisfaction felt is incomparable
I'm just nervous about my results because I really want to do medicine :/ :frown:
Reply 37

Choose:
1. Have a life with an easy boring office job with easy hours.
2. Train in any profession and work long hours. Medicine has long hours, but what other profession doesn't? Sure if you slack off then you'll have a life, but you will probably get fired before then.
Laywers, docs, programmers, accountants, entrepreneurs, architects -all of them work long hours.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm just nervous about my results because I really want to do medicine :/ :frown:

don't worry about your results, there is no much you can do now~
focus on chemistry
remember don't waste your summer holiday (like me!) panicking about results day

just like mine(parents) lol
its your life after all
but do your research beforehand
medicine is hard to get into in the first place
you wouldn't wanna go through the competitive application process
and then find that its actually not as fascinating as you thought it would be
shadow some doctors and you will find that they spend a lot of time doing paper work

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending