Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do university students do during the summer? Watch

• View Poll Results: What should I do this summer?
    Go on holiday for 10 days? (suggestions would be cool)
    50.00%
    Get a car for a month and travel around the UK?
    12.50%
    Binge watch series on Netflix and eat food for 3 months?
    25.00%
    Find work experience as a live sound engineer?
    62.50%
    You give me something to do.
    0%

ReputationRep:
    I'm not really sure where to start with this. Summer is one of those things that everyone looks forward to and is definitely full of opportunities for what ever you're doing in university. My usual routine for summer unfortunately consists of, well...netflix and food. One difference is that now we all have a little cash aside from the student loans that we'll probably save for a rainy day or in my case a sunny one (unless you've spend it all in which case I feel deeply sorry for you, rice and beans for another month). My parents are always going on about money and how I should guard it with my life which I totally understand. The responsible thing to do would be to save it up for when times are hard. (Their perspective). My opinion is that we should enjoy it whilst we can! I mean when do we ever get the chance to have large sums of money. At the end of it all, its our debt to pay back (if that ever happens). So I have choices to make here, I go on holiday for 10 days somewhere, get a car for a month and do the whole travelling around the UK thing, or stay boring and save my money and let the netflix cycle resume as usual. As a side note, I love to make my own music, recently invested into some gear and want to learn more, come to think of it, making more music is definitely on the list of things to do during the 3 1/2 months off. Anyone know any freebie music events going on around the Wales area also?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by LadleForLife)
    I'm not really sure where to start with this. Summer is one of those things that everyone looks forward to and is definitely full of opportunities for what ever you're doing in university. My usual routine for summer unfortunately consists of, well...netflix and food. One difference is that now we all have a little cash aside from the student loans that we'll probably save for a rainy day or in my case a sunny one (unless you've spend it all in which case I feel deeply sorry for you, rice and beans for another month). My parents are always going on about money and how I should guard it with my life which I totally understand. The responsible thing to do would be to save it up for when times are hard. (Their perspective). My opinion is that we should enjoy it whilst we can! I mean when do we ever get the chance to have large sums of money. At the end of it all, its our debt to pay back (if that ever happens). So I have choices to make here, I go on holiday for 10 days somewhere, get a car for a month and do the whole travelling around the UK thing, or stay boring and save my money and let the netflix cycle resume as usual. As a side note, I love to make my own music, recently invested into some gear and want to learn more, come to think of it, making more music is definitely on the list of things to do during the 3 1/2 months off. Anyone know any freebie music events going on around the Wales area also?
    As a compromise, you could go on a cheap package holiday abroad (there's easily ones between £200 and £300, for example a week in spain cost me £180 all inclusive last year as the flights were awkward) rather than a trip around the uk or somewhere expensive abroad and save the rest of the money.

Which part of wales are you in ?

ReputationRep:
    Living in Cardiff at the moment , and £180?, that's real cheap! I just don't want to end up like a couch potato for another summer haha
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Living in Cardiff at the moment , and £180?, that's real cheap! I just don't want to end up like a couch potato for another summer haha
    Yes, we needed spending money but otherwise that covered everything

ReputationRep:
    no harm with a holiday if you have some money left over. But also do go and get some work experience, it will help you so much when you graduate.

ReputationRep:
    Just chill innit. :cool: :cookie: :crown: Same as with uni.
    Employers are just lookin for someone to chill with on their smoke breaks.

Spoiler:
    Show
    And when I say employers I mean people you will meet in the queue for the job centre if you take this apraoch like I did looool :'(

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.