DanZeMan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I am nearing completion of a two year computing course atcollege and I’m currently wondering what to do next. I have applied foruniversity but I have become disenchanted with education I’m not sure if Istill want to go on to university.I was wondering what the prospects of an apprenticeship inIT are in comparison to a computer science course at university.
jackhaugh
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There are many degree apprenticeships out in IT. It's as self explanatory as you think (a degree alongside work).

Capgemini, BAE systems, Lloyds Bank, GSK, Astra Zeneca etc

A lot of them have already closed their applications for this year but have a look around.
IBM Apprentices
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by DanZeMan)
I am nearing completion of a two year computing course atcollege and I’m currently wondering what to do next. I have applied foruniversity but I have become disenchanted with education I’m not sure if Istill want to go on to university.I was wondering what the prospects of an apprenticeship inIT are in comparison to a computer science course at university.
Hi DanZeMan;

I am currently doing an Apprenticeship in IT at IBM. You get to be at the heart of a developing world of computing and see it change first hand. IBM is one of the biggest computer companies in the world and having experience from them would get you a great way into the world of technology.

You gain a Level four diploma by doing the apprenticeship, this is the same level as a first year at degree level. You get hands on experience and get to work on a range of different projects that the company deal with. Also they give you the opportunity to go on courses to learn more in a specific area.

But if you want to a degree they have also started doing a new degree apprenticeship which a couple of my friends do, where you get a degree at Queen Marys in London in technology. You do a few days at uni and the rest of the week at work. So you earn while you learn and gain a degree.

If you have any questions relating to it please feel free to ask.

Amy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (15)
13.04%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (73)
63.48%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (14)
12.17%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (10)
8.7%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (3)
2.61%

Watched Threads