Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I ran my essay through a plagiarism checker and two sentences were flagged to a website that I have not cited. I did use the website to find research to write about but it must have subconsciously influenced what I wrote. Basically, I only cited the research I found in the website and not the website itself.

For example,I wrote something like "Control is lacked within those who have tourettes (Peterson et al 2k8)". The website would have wrote something similar too and cited the same study. Is this viewed as plagiarism? can they be sure I didn't read the study and come up with my own conclusion to what it says/found?

ReputationRep:
    Though I don't know how plagiarism checks work, I doubt the university would call plagiarism on something that could be a coincidence. As long as you know exactly what plagiarism is and what it includes, and you know your essay is free from it, then you needn't worry.

ReputationRep:
    You are supposed to cite the secondary source also (but no one really does). Unless you copied their sentence verbatim, it is unlikely anything will happen. Although if your essay is full of references to websites and then you have primary source research which has been flagged as plagiarism of a website, it will obviously look suspicious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by macromicro)
    You are supposed to cite the secondary source also (but no one really does). Unless you copied their sentence verbatim, it is unlikely anything will happen. Although if your essay is full of references to websites and then you have primary source research which has been flagged as plagiarism of a website, it will obviously look suspicious.
    It's only two sentences in my introduction. It is a mix of red and blue. Words highlighted in red are identical words and words in blue are changed words. Both sentences have a mix of these colours which are linked to the unreferenced website. I am unsure how they can suspect plagiarism even if I used the website to find the sources..... could the university declare plagiarism even if it suspected in two small sentences out of a 2000 word essay?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Anoraak)
    It's only two sentences in my introduction. It is a mix of red and blue. Words highlighted in red are identical words and words in blue are changed words. Both sentences have a mix of these colours which are linked to the unreferenced website. I am unsure how they can suspect plagiarism even if I used the website to find the sources..... could the university declare plagiarism even if it suspected in two small sentences out of a 2000 word essay?
    Since it's such a small percentage of the essay it probably isn't a huge problem, but if you are worried you could just try rephrasing the sentances slightly and changing some more words

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I highly doubt 2 sentences is going to cause any doubt. Isn't there allowed to be around 5% plagiarism anyway? I know there is on plagiarism checkers like turnitin.

ReputationRep:
    Did you use Turnitin? Most uni's have a certain % threshold.
    Sometimes there's just no other way to write a sentence. It's usually only used to spot if massive chunks of text are copied, or if your work was constantly showing a high % of 'copied' text, it may be flagged.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Findlay6)
    Did you use Turnitin? Most uni's have a certain % threshold.
    Sometimes there's just no other way to write a sentence. It's usually only used to spot if massive chunks of text are copied, or if your work was constantly showing a high % of 'copied' text, it may be flagged.
    yeah its through Turnitin. My module leader has made it so no one can see the report until results are posted.

I think I may get done for plagiarising because the web page I looked at said very similar things to me in my introduction (only two sentences). As I thought I could just reference the studies inside this web page and not the web page itself, I basically reworded what the website said. It will be flagged as similar but I do not know if they will assume I plagiarised or not, especially since the two studies I referenced are right after one another in the web page.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry too much. As long as there's only a couple of similar phrased sentences, even if your work is heavily influenced by the site you should be fine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.