Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

Is Tumblr damaging the next generation? watch

• View Poll Results: Is Tumblr damaging the next generation?
    Yes
    53.23%
    No
    20.97%
    Other/ I don't know
    3.23%
    It's the internet as a whole
    22.58%

ReputationRep:
    This question may seem kind of strange but hear me out:

1. Mental Illness. For some reason, on Tumblr especially, people think they can just give themselves mental illnesses without a medical diagnosis, this is wrong and disrespectful to those who have real illnesses.

2. Fat acceptance. Why are we normalizing poor life decisions. Being morbidly obese is not healthy get over it please.

3. Otherkin. I don't need to say anything here, this is just plain strange, I know you will say I am close minded, but as an attack helicopter I am offended at that

4. Sexual Identity/ Orientation. There are four genders, male, female, tran, and intersex. There are 3 sexual orientations, hetero, homo, and bi.

5. SJW/BLM/Feminism. I'm not talking about those that are simply making the point that we need equality, I'm talking about those that think men should die, whites are vile etc etc.

Feel Free to drop your opinion below.

ReputationRep:
    Of course it is. Its damaging for everyones brain cells who have to encounter and dismiss these fools

ReputationRep:
    Tumblr is the result of many problems, not the cause of them.

Different social media reflect different parts of society more strongly then others, and sometimes it spirals as more and more peolple like-minded people come together, and as a result people who share these views are then drawn to the large group of similarly minded people.

Yes, some of the ideas are, in my opinion, bad for society. But if you get rid of tumblr, they will just move on to another platform, and quite frankly young people have always had bad ideas. Its nothing new, ask any generation of parents, and they will tell you the misguided ideals of both themselves and then their children.

Its worrying when those ideas continue into adulthood, but usually that is just a minority, as the majority grow out of it. My only real concern for our current generation is that we are growing up later then previous generations. Due to a prolonged 'teenage' life at university, and a culture that accepts child-values later into adult hood (games, cartoons, etc) it will take people longer to grow out of these ideas. Maybe in my parents generation many people grew out of young idealism around 18-20, but now I would suggest it is probably mid 20s for most.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    Of course it is. Its damaging for everyones brain cells who have to encounter and dismiss these fools
    This is TSR, I fear our opinions will be somewhat in the minority

ReputationRep:
    Finding out that I was a giraffekin was the best thing that has ever happened to me and if it took Tumblr for that to occur then LEAVE TUMBLR ALONE I'm triggered :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    Tumblr is the result of many problems, not the cause of them.

Different social media reflect different parts of society more strongly then others, and sometimes it spirals as more and more peolple like-minded people come together, and as a result people who share these views are then drawn to the large group of similarly minded people.

Yes, some of the ideas are, in my opinion, bad for society. But if you get rid of tumblr, they will just move on to another platform, and quite frankly young people have always had bad ideas. Its nothing new, ask any generation of parents, and they will tell you the misguided ideals of both themselves and then their children.

Its worrying when those ideas continue into adulthood, but usually that is just a minority, as the majority grow out of it. My only real concern for our current generation is that we are growing up later then previous generations. Due to a prolonged 'teenage' life at university, and a culture that accepts child-values later into adult hood (games, cartoons, etc) it will take people longer to grow out of these ideas. Maybe in my parents generation many people grew out of young idealism around 18-20, but now I would suggest it is probably mid 20s for most.
    I feel the shift in the teenage society is rather worrying. Especially considering these people will be world leaders in the next 20 years, I kind of fear for free speech and normal sensible ideals.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, but Milo is though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluemadhatter)
    Finding out that I was a giraffekin was the best thing that has ever happened to me and if it took Tumblr for that to occur then LEAVE TUMBLR ALONE I'm triggered :cry2:
    Please check your orange animal privilege.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluemadhatter)
    You should never have left your safe space.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drummerz)
    Nah, but Milo is though
    Milo is bae. Leave Milo alone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    You should never have left your safe space.
    If uni students feel they need a safe space then honestly they should grow up a bit and then go back to university.

As far as a damaged generation is concerned -- that ship has long sailed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    As far as a damaged generation is concerned -- that ship has long sailed.
    And then crashed into the proverbial rocks I fear.

ReputationRep:
    omggggzz stop oppresssing me u cis ****lord; how dare u suggezt that I am not a sentient dragon-kin necrophiliac, with self-diagnosed PTSD and schizo; I only date agender demonkin, and if you dare not refer to me with my correct pronouns (Dzxe, Dhzxee, Dzxx) then you will feel my wrath

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inazuma)
    omggggzz stop oppresssing me u cis ****lord; how dare u suggezt that I am not a sentient dragon-kin necrophiliac, with self-diagnosed PTSD and schizo; I only date agender demonkin, and if you dare not refer to me with my correct pronouns (Dzxe, Dhzxee, Dzxx) then you will feel my wrath
    And there I was hoping I would get a serious answer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IAmNero)
    And there I was hoping I would get a serious answer
    I can't keep it up any longer, that was painful to write :devil3:

But seriously, kill Tumblr with fire.
    I'm pretty certain that had it not existed then none of my friends or I would have had particular issues exacerbated, and my friend would not have ended up in hospital for years (with Tumblr banned).

I rarely frequent it any more.

ReputationRep:
    tbh most of the people on tumblr are only on tumblr because there are very few other safe spaces for them
    as someone who has a tumblr, people who are in the minority in society or feel as though they are (people who are lgbt+, empowered women and POC, people with mental illness) are actually in a majority and are with people like them who get the problems they face in everyday life that are too often laughed off by people irl
    maybe when society becomes less judgmental and people can be who they are then there will be no need for tumblr

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inazuma)
    I can't keep it up any longer, that was painful to write :devil3:

But seriously, kill Tumblr with fire.
    I'm pretty certain that had it not existed then none of my friends or I would have had particular issues exacerbated, and my friend would not have ended up in hospital for years (with Tumblr banned).

I rarely frequent it any more.
    It was more painful to read, trust me.

You have mirrored exactly how I feel tbh. And I'm sorry about your friend

ReputationRep:
    First: wtf is dragonkin, demonkin and giraffekin?

And at OP:
    I fear, to some extent, yes. It does not and will not impact an entire generation as a unit, but it does have grossly negative effects on individuals.

My sister was absolutely fine and happy lalalala. Next thing you know: she starts using tumblr; makes friends with the emo-type, agender, hipster, *rant against humanity * types; becomes totally disillusioned with the world; gets a girlfriend; and starts cutting herself.

I think that websites like tumblr give the neurotic types a platform to impact those who are easily influenced. It's not isolated to tumblr - the Internet as a whole is to blame, but tumblr seems to be the climax of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sgmjb)
    tbh most of the people on tumblr are only on tumblr because there are very few other safe spaces for them
    as someone who has a tumblr, people who are in the minority in society or feel as though they are (people who are lgbt+, empowered women and POC, people with mental illness) are actually in a majority and are with people like them who get the problems they face in everyday life that are too often laughed off by people irl
    maybe when society becomes less judgmental and people can be who they are then there will be no need for tumblr
    Okay, but when does a minority become an irrational way of thinking, or hurtful to normal society as a whole. Surely, if you want to do something bad enough then you shouldn't give a damn about what anyone else thinks?

Btw:
    LGBT are accepted
    Empowered women? In the first world they already are
    Most don't have real diagnosed mental illnesses.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.