Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I can't decide whether I want to study Econ and stats at UCL - or Economics and Global Sustainable Development at Warwick! Please help!

UCL would probably be better for job prospects with better links in the city and a course that is attractive to employers
    However I think i would enjoy the course at Warwick more as it is more per my interest. But theres theres huge cos involved at Warwick because at UCL I can live at home!

Any opinions? Is Econ and GSD a credible degree? Its a very new course - will it be attractive to employers?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Kaiden)
    Hi! I can't decide whether I want to study Econ and stats at UCL - or Economics and Global Sustainable Development at Warwick! Please help!

UCL would probably be better for job prospects with better links in the city and a course that is attractive to employers
    However I think i would enjoy the course at Warwick more as it is more per my interest. But theres theres huge cos involved at Warwick because at UCL I can live at home!

Any opinions? Is Econ and GSD a credible degree? Its a very new course - will it be attractive to employers?
    The same employers actively target and visit both universities, you shouldn't worry about 'job prospects' from either. The difference job-wise would be in logistics (i.e. travelling to interviews, working part-time at a firm alongside uni etc).

You've already made your decision that you enjoy Warwick more, so go for it. Both unis are top notch..

Honestly, it's such a common comparison between these unis when really it's a matter of personal preference. People post all sorts of 'arguments' for one or the other when in the grand scheme of things choosing one over the other doesn't change anything about your post-uni options.

Re:costs, Warwick is very cheap vs London for living.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaiden)

They are both equal careers-wise since both unis have a great reputation for economics and in general. However, yes, UCL is in London so it will be easier for you to get to networking events, careers fairs and workshops and this could help you get a good job.

Also, the advantage of being in London is that you are in the world's financial capital and the ability to visit some institutions like museums and a lot of the main think tanks and royal societies might enrich your academic study of economics.

Also, the economics and statistics course at UCL offers the ability for strong performers to complete a year with an actuarial employer, so if you're interested in that go for UCL.

Both subjects are fine for getting jobs as long as you have the right skills and personality.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.