Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does Nostalgia get the better of you sometimes? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (If this is in the wrong forum, then please feel free to move it, and if so, then sorry for posting it here in the first place)

For me this school year has been really bad (year 12) because of multiple reasons, such as not having any friends, not being able to do subjects of my choice, the reality of life going forward etc. Most days I am always down, so usually when I come home from school and on weekends I would just always think to myself how things used to be back in the day. 2011 and 2012 are good examples of when things used to be so good. I had decent friends, got good grades in school etc.

2014 onwards my life started changing, I lost my good friends as they went there separate ways, and I was then dragged into the bad crowd (they just weren't focused in school) and this took its toll when I went from getting A's to mostly all C's at GCSE. A lot of other things have happened but if someone could point me in the right direction to which forum I should post it in, then I would be thankful

How do I stop thinking about the past? and also how many people are also on the same boat as me?

Thanks, and also sorry for the long post.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Devandra)
    (If this is in the wrong forum, then please feel free to move it, and if so, then sorry for posting it here in the first place)

For me this school year has been really bad (year 12) because of multiple reasons, such as not having any friends, not being able to do subjects of my choice, the reality of life going forward etc. Most days I am always down, so usually when I come home from school and on weekends I would just always think to myself how things used to be back in the day. 2011 and 2012 are good examples of when things used to be so good. I had decent friends, got good grades in school etc.

2014 onwards my life started changing, I lost my good friends as they went there separate ways, and I was then dragged into the bad crowd (they just weren't focused in school) and this took its toll when I went from getting A's to mostly all C's at GCSE. A lot of other things have happened but if someone could point me in the right direction to which forum I should post it in, then I would be thankful

How do I stop thinking about the past? and also how many people are also on the same boat as me?

Thanks, and also sorry for the long post.
    In the first year of uni, particularly during a period where I wanted to leave and study A-levels again, I thought about how good/fun Year 13 was with all of my friends, teachers, living with parents, girlfriend etc so I know how you feel.

But at the same time, it's dangerous to just spend your time thinking about how good things used to be and try to escape reality - you need to do well in Year 12 with exams approaching, so perhaps you can distract yourself with your work. However, if you feel like you're not doing the right subjects, perhaps you can look at moving sixth forms or changing subjects next year? This could be something to talk about with your current school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    In the first year of uni, particularly during a period where I wanted to leave and study A-levels again, I thought about how good/fun Year 13 was with all of my friends, teachers, living with parents, girlfriend etc so I know how you feel.

But at the same time, it's dangerous to just spend your time thinking about how good things used to be and try to escape reality - you need to do well in Year 12 with exams approaching, so perhaps you can distract yourself with your work. However, if you feel like you're not doing the right subjects, perhaps you can look at moving sixth forms or changing subjects next year? This could be something to talk about with your current school.
    I forgot to mention but i am doing all BTECs, which i hate, but had to do them because of my grades. At the time of getting my GCSE's i thought about moving to another sixth form, in which i didn't do and deeply deeply regret as there i could have done what i wanted to do. You might find it wierd that i say that i hate them, but they are just soo boring, the teachers don't really care about our work, none of my friends do them, and i tend to get laughed at reguarly for doing them by the guys doing A-Levels. Man i feel so left out

To not add to my problems but i come from a very competitive family (parents are indian) and all my other cousins did exceptional in their exams, yet i am the only one who scrapped past. I hate my life sometimes, but that's the way she goes i guess.

Anyways, thanks for the reply i really appreciate it, and yeah i will talk to my school about it
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Devandra)
    I forgot to mention but i am doing all BTECs, which i hate, but had to do them because of my grades. At the time of getting my GCSE's i thought about moving to another sixth form, in which i didn't do and deeply deeply regret as there i could have done what i wanted to do. You might find it wierd that i say that i hate them, but they are just soo boring, the teachers don't really care about our work, none of my friends do them, and i tend to get laughed at reguarly for doing them by the guys doing A-Levels. Man i feel so left out

To not add to my problems but i come from a very competitive family (parents are indian) and all my other cousins did exceptional in their exams, yet i am the only one who scrapped past. I hate my life sometimes, but that's the way she goes i guess.

Anyways, thanks for the reply i really appreciate it, and yeah i will talk to my school about it

Oh dear :console: that is quite a tricky situation. I completely understand how you'd hate it in that situation.

As for tosspots who look down on you for doing a BTEC, don't pay any attention to them.

Being in an Asian family can be difficult, especially an Indian one, but whatever happens this year, try to do your best next year and make the most of what you've got, and that's all you can do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    Oh dear :console: that is quite a tricky situation. I completely understand how you'd hate it in that situation.

As for tosspots who look down on you for doing a BTEC, don't pay any attention to them.

Being in an Asian family can be difficult, especially an Indian one, but whatever happens this year, try to do your best next year and make the most of what you've got, and that's all you can do.
    thanks man, really appreicate the advice

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.