The Student Room Group

Hacking news - is it severe enough? Criticisms please!

LONDON (Reuters) - Computer hacking, an offence police once dismissed as a teenage prank, would carry a maximum two-year prison term as part of a revised cybercrime law proposed by MPs.

Is this too lenient as a maximum prison term?

Source available from http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsPackageArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=538680&section=news

I would like to stress that if this happens and the prosecution feel that two years is not enough they may be able to successfully prosecute the defendants on a charge of criminal damage, yes that is possible depending on the circumstances. If this happens the maximum is 7 years from my understanding.

Any other thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No. But I think everyone should get life for whatever they do, I think that would be a deterrent. John Walsh (man who's son was kidnapped by a sex offender and decapitated, campaigns for victims rights in the USA) calls it the Criminal injustice system. I think that's a very clever play on words.
depends for wat it is and how much damage is caused
Reply 3
too lenient. hackers are losers who don;t have lives anyway, so wouldn;t really matter if they got life :biggrin:
Reply 4
lol tk migth have something to say about this...:biggrin:
Walk By
lol tk migth have something to say about this...:biggrin:

:rolleyes:
Reply 6
Tinykates
too lenient. hackers are losers who don;t have lives anyway, so wouldn;t really matter if they got life :biggrin:

damn, she got there before me
Reply 7
haha :tongue:
Reply 8
Cate
haha :tongue:
:wink: hehe
thats a wise move to have deleted that
Reply 10
DazYaZZZ
thats a wise move to have deleted that
:eek: sounds like a threat!
Tinykates
:eek: sounds like a threat!

nah, you would have just maken yourself look stupid :smile:
Reply 12
Tinykates

Well lets put it this way. Someone could cause £50000 worth of criminal damage and get 7 years in prison. A hacker could cause a lot more and only get two. Is this logical?

On the deterrent note, it's detection which is the main deterrent and not the gravity of the offence.
DazYaZZZ
nah, you would have just maken yourself look stupid :smile:

Once again daz, the pot calling the kettle black.

MB
Reply 14
on a side note- walk by..how come you've changed account so many times?
priya
on a side note- walk by..how come you've changed account so many times?

Because he is a troll who keeps getting banned and just comes here to annoy everyone.

MB
Reply 16
So what do people think should be the maximum amount? 10 years? Life?
Reply 17
NDGAARONDI
So what do people think should be the maximum amount? 10 years? Life?
life
Life's too harsh, i'd say about 5 years.
Reply 19
Why not use some kind of clockwork orange conditioning so that when a convicted hacker gets near a computer they start to feel really really ill...that'd work

Latest

Trending

Trending