Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hacking news - is it severe enough? Criticisms please! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    Life's too harsh, i'd say about 5 years.
    What if someone hacked into say top secret files at the British government (although other charges no doubt are available) or got into the stock exchange and created havoc?

How about messing up doctors information and people started getting diagnosed incorrectly?

Possibilities are huge.

(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    What if someone hacked into say top secret files at the British government (although other charges no doubt are available) or got into the stock exchange and created havoc?

How about messing up doctors information and people started getting diagnosed incorrectly?

Possibilities are huge.
    If they did that doctor thing they could be sentenced for murder, not hacking. I'm no expert on this or anything but for average hacking problems around 5 years is more than enough, and anything more serious like you said could be dealt with using other charges, as you also said.

(Original post by piginapoke)
    Then the punishment should fit the crime; we're talking about the end not the means. Endangering lives, fraud and treason are still the same crimes which ever way they have been committed. IMO the crime of unauthorised computer access or whatever is in addition to whatever other crime is being committed, and in itself is not really a hugely serious crime worthy of a strict sentence, but whatever the result of the 'hacking' is may well be.
    Yeah, you said what i did but phrased it much better, so everyone read piggy's not mine.

ReputationRep:
    I think 2 years is enough, after all thats only for getting into the system.

Off topic, but piginapoke you do realise that you make over 75 posts per day on average don't you? How on earth did you manage that? I suppose i would as well if i didn't always have threads and replies deleted though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Then the punishment should fit the crime; we're talking about the end not the means. Endangering lives, fraud and treason are still the same crimes which ever way they have been committed. IMO the crime of unauthorised computer access or whatever is in addition to whatever other crime is being committed, and in itself is not really a hugely serious crime worthy of a strict sentence, but whatever the result of the 'hacking' is may well be.
    Er, I don't think hacking should be sentenced equivalently with other forms of (e.g. violent) criminal damage with the same overall effect. Hacking is much easier to protect against than the latter and a hackable system is not secure to start of with, thus the hacked party is partially liable for the offences.

It's kind of like leaving ur doors & windows wide open when on holiday, then getting burgled, compared with locking your doors and windows and getting burgled at knife-point. The result may be the same, but the crimes are different and don't really deserve the same punishment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    too lenient. hackers are losers who don;t have lives anyway, so wouldn;t really matter if they got life
    Im sorry but i disagree - whilst a lot of 'hackers' are a pain in the backside or just script kiddies some actually do some good and allow us to develop our technology to prevent us from attack in the future. People just have a stereotypical view on this subject as its only a bunch of loosers writing crappy magazines who ever talk about it.

ReputationRep:
    I think it depende on what they hack and for what purpose, hacking the IRS is diff than hacking a Pc which is diff than hacking into a schools mainframe

Besides, i think if a hacker is caught he is stupid, or at least not smart enough, so should go to jail

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KOH)
    I think it depende on what they hack and for what purpose, hacking the IRS is diff than hacking a Pc which is diff than hacking into a schools mainframe

Besides, i think if a hacker is caught he is stupid, or at least not smart enough, so should go to jail
    This is what I'm getting at whilst making sure the sentence fits the crime committed. One thing you don't want is to have a situation where some time in the future you come across a hacker who has committed some serious actions and all you can get him done for is two years (presuming other charges are not possible). Then people will call for an increase, which is too late for the current position unless it has retrospective effect, which is rare.

ReputationRep:
    This is what I'm getting at whilst making sure the sentence fits the crime committed. One thing you don't want is to have a situation where some time in the future you come across a hacker who has committed some serious actions and all you can get him done for is two years (presuming other charges are not possible). Then people will call for an increase, which is too late for the current position unless it has retrospective effect, which is rare.
    I think this 2 year limit thing is stupid, surely crimes can be committed vi hacking that are worthy of 10+ years in prison.

e.g.) If you stole a million pounds from an account?

ReputationRep:
    Is this too lenient as a maximum prison term?

Source available from http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsPackage...0&section=news

I would like to stress that if this happens and the prosecution feel that two years is not enough they may be able to successfully prosecute the defendants on a charge of criminal damage, yes that is possible depending on the circumstances. If this happens the maximum is 7 years from my understanding.

Any other thoughts?
    Well, I know I certainly wouldn't want anyone hacking my computer especially if I owned a company...if they're taking money or spreading viruses that will cost a lot to remove!!
    So the harsher the penalty the better I say!!!
    Nothing but common thieves....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TELEPATHICTUBBY)
    Well, I know I certainly wouldn't want anyone hacking my computer especially if I owned a company...if they're taking money or spreading viruses that will cost a lot to remove!!
    So the harsher the penalty the better I say!!!
    Nothing but common thieves....
    Exactly. Often people say you can get them done for other charges, but if you just got them for hacking under the new sentence, it could be equivalent to what they could have got for several offences put together. This may be more idealistic, arguably.

I know there are problems with securing convictions for fraud. No idea what hacking is like, if and when they are caught, but if it's easier with them and they committed fraud, then surely a larger sentence for hacking could take into account of the fraud? Just a thought.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazYaZZZ)
    who thinks i should knock UKL offline?
    wELL, If you did that, I'd have to find some other means to pass the time...and I can't be bothered!
    So..not me..but thanks for offering though, you're a real star!

ReputationRep:
    wELL, If you did that, I'd have to find some other means to pass the time...and I can't be bothered!
    So..not me..but thanks for offering though, you're a real star!
    Who says he's going to?

ReputationRep:
    Who says he's going to?
    Who say's he's not?
    and before you say it, I'll say it:
    Who says he can?
    Ok good stuff!

ReputationRep:
    Hacking is ususally about vandalism more then thievery. In cases like that joker who wrote the Sasser worm, I hope they would get around 10 years. Otherwise, if it doesn't cause damage (ie: someone gains access but changes nothing) then I think a 2 year limit would be good if they even try the person at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bryansix)
    Hacking is ususally about vandalism more then thievery. In cases like that joker who wrote the Sasser worm, I hope they would get around 10 years. Otherwise, if it doesn't cause damage (ie: someone gains access but changes nothing) then I think a 2 year limit would be good if they even try the person at all.

What if they got hold of your medical records in your local surgery which could have proven dangerous, such as swapping your allergies with someone else (something simple as being allergic to aspirin)? I suppose with all the criminal offences there are you can always find a more suitable alternative, like in this instance attempted wounding or something like that.

does anyone know how much the Sasser guy will get?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bryansix)
    Yeah I see what you're saying, but vandalism could also be looked at as a form of theft, since it is often, the victim that has to pay the cost of fixing the damage. Thus, their money is in a sense robbed from them.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I see what you're saying, but vandalism could also be looked at as a form of theft, since it is often, the victim that has to pay the cost of fixing the damage. Thus, their money is in a sense robbed from them.
    Taken rather than robbed surely?

ReputationRep:
    Taken rather than robbed surely?
    Same thing, surely?

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.