Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hacking news - is it severe enough? Criticisms please! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking of robbery in the more legal sense than the ordinary meaning

I suppose you could get a hacker who then sends a program which is a trojan and comes up writing messages in an MS-DOS screen saying hit this key or you will get killed as soon as you step off your front door. Technology!

e-robbery and e-blackmail hmmm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    I was thinking of robbery in the more legal sense than the ordinary meaning

I suppose you could get a hacker who then sends a program which is a trojan and comes up writing messages in an MS-DOS screen saying hit this key or you will get killed as soon as you step off your front door. Technology!

e-robbery and e-blackmail hmmm
    Yeah- NDGAARONDI!! I think you might have just coined a phrase that might catch on!! well done!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TELEPATHICTUBBY)
    Yeah- NDGAARONDI!! I think you might have just coined a phrase that might catch on!! well done!
    I've never heard of them used before

You don't get much stuff about hackers getting caught. They seem to be more about people who send virii and their variants. Possibly because they are more annoying.

ReputationRep:
    I've never heard of them used before

You don't get much stuff about hackers getting caught. They seem to be more about people who send virii and their variants. Possibly because they are more annoying.
    Well viruses are incredibly annoying, you're right. It seems that there are too many people who have nothing better to do than cause mischief...
    And that the only way they'll learn is through severe punishment...shame though.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if companies use hacking to help sustain monopolies in the corporate market?

I guess it's easier to write virii than hack too.

Not sleepy, TELEPATHICTUBBY? I'm assuming you're in GMT zone of course.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if companies use hacking to help sustain monopolies in the corporate market?

I guess it's easier to write virii than hack too.

Not sleepy, TELEPATHICTUBBY? I'm assuming you're in GMT zone of course.
    Hey, that's a thought! yes, I'm very into these 'conspiracy theories' too. It is often preferable to believe that life is more interesting than it seems...

yes GMT, I'm in London. Sleepy? Well, almost, thanks for asking....I've been doing the night shift all week...it's when I'm on days next week, that I'll be sleepy!

And yourself?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, that's a thought! yes, I'm very into these 'conspiracy theories' too. It is often preferable to believe that life is more interesting than it seems...

yes GMT, I'm in London. Sleepy? Well, almost, thanks for asking....I've been doing the night shift all week...it's when I'm on days next week, that I'll be sleepy!

And yourself?
    Same time zone. Didn't know if you were online from a different time zone. Just thought you were one of the addicts (uklophiliacs) you read about on this site.

We haven't seen any hackers commit that huge a crime recently have we? Well I haven't heard of anything.

Does anyone know that computer guy who got an algorithm tattooed on his arm and got sent to jail for it? Think he was American or British.

ReputationRep:
    Same time zone. Didn't know if you were online from a different time zone. Just thought you were one of the addicts (uklophiliacs) you read about on this site.

We haven't seen any hackers commit that huge a crime recently have we? Well I haven't heard of anything.

Does anyone know that computer guy who got an algorithm tattooed on his arm and got sent to jail for it? Think he was American or British.
    Seriously? well, first let me look ALGORITHM up !!!

ReputationRep:
    Can't really find and decent results on Google. Probably looked it up in a degree textbook for criminal law or somewhere.

What I like to know is how the MPs in the link came to terms with two years. Is it arbitary or is that what they all generally think?

I suppose if you hacked into personal information I guess there are other provision with data protection there too.

ReputationRep:
    Can't really find and decent results on Google. Probably looked it up in a degree textbook for criminal law or somewhere.

What I like to know is how the MPs in the link came to terms with two years. Is it arbitary or is that what they all generally think?

I suppose if you hacked into personal information I guess there are other provision with data protection there too.

Erm.. I'm not too sure, you know?

But, I'm too lazy to hack or do all that... so need to worry there!

ReputationRep:
    Erm.. I'm not too sure, you know?

But, I'm too lazy to hack or do all that... so need to worry there!
    It's a stupid increase in sentence. You only need a guilty plea and you're entitled to a third off the sentence, more if you enter the plea before the venue is decided for your trial (presumably you use your solicitor at the police station for this). Is there any point in putting people in prison for this short of time? Might as well make them do community service, which a lot of prisoners would rather not do.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.